How to Jam with others on keyboards

Reaction score
" I understand that we fill in space in songs and have bits and parts otherwise there is too much noise."
Sorry if my response repeats, I wrote it and forgot to log in, and my original response didn't appear to take.
Anotherscott mentioned ELP, and Yes is another example of a band that featured keyboards because they had extraordinary musicians on keyboards. Rather than being limited to the idea of filling in space, consider your job to being disciplined within your skill set.

HRF

Reaction score
" I understand that we fill in space in songs and have bits and parts otherwise there is too much noise."
Sorry if my response repeats, I wrote it and forgot to log in, and my original response didn't appear to take.
Anotherscott mentioned ELP, and Yes is another example of a band that featured keyboards because they had extraordinary musicians on keyboards. Rather than being limited to the idea of filling in space, consider your job to being disciplined within your skill set.
I'm at a unique place in my playing "career". At the age of 70, I have some arthritis that has slowed down my velocity when playing...no lightning quick leads any more; However, I've found that I've switched my direction to being the best support keyboard player I can. Background chord rhythms, string or horn fills allow the other musicians, with more dexterity, the freedom to expand on what they do. Works for me.

Reaction score
Great question. If your complimenting one guitar player, it’s easy. You’re laying down the rhythm while he solos or second harmonizing guitar during the meat and potatoes. But it gets a little trickier when there’s more guitarists like a southern rock band. Where I’m at, guitarists don’t like giving you a piece of the action, and if you start looking like you might be a better musician than them, forget about it. Now I’m talking about a cover band here. Most I’ve worked with weren’t very professional in any facet of the project. They gotta smoke pot and drink beer before we get started rehearsing, rush through songs never stopping to fix timing issues, etc. Hell, I played in an original band that never wanted to practice and get good. Just learn your parts, get used to the possibility that the solos you learn by the record might get cut short on measures so the guitarists can play a solo too even though they don’t have one on the original recording. Stay out of the bass player’s neighborhood too. Especially if you get good at key bass. You’ll just make an enemy. Just fill in the voids with little runs and licks, keep your volume under control, insist that the whole band runs through the PA so you can hear what is being played through the monitors. Wide open guitar amps on stage are just too loud and it’ll be hard to keep track of where you are in a song in relation to where the rest of the band is. My whole band goes through the mix, everyone has a monitor. I run my keys in stereo to a stereo volume pedal then to a small mixer that I control. The mains from that run out to a stereo strip on the FOH. I get a much fuller sound that way. It helps if you’re in a band that values you and wants what you can add to the big picture too. Good luck, man.

Reaction score
Sorry forgot to login for awhile. Thank soooo much for everyone's responses!

My jam group (not a band and I do not ever intend to be on stage to perform) changed for a bit and Im back to being the keyboard and tambourine player. Starting to learn to improvise over guitarists and tried a few of the suggestions in here like adding fills and ambience but they player a lot of rock songs and sometimes hard to find a space in between all that guitar! Glad to find this forgiving group that lets me experiment and learn!

Reaction score
Hi Folks:

Im wondering for those who are playing in a group settings (jam session or 'band'). Myself and other beginner are wondering how to fit ourselves in. I understand that we fill in space in songs and have bits and parts otherwise there is too much noise. I have made peace with the fact that there is a lot of 'sitting around' and waiting for my parts. The other guy plunks chords along with the guitar parts but I dont do that.
The other keyboardist (guitarist first) cannot make peace with waiting. We wondering what others do or not do in these situations? I plinker with a kalimba / tambourine if the songs calls for to keep busy sometimes.

PS. The other guy wanted my spot for we alternate so arent at the same session if you wondering :)

Hope our question makes sense.

I had a two keyboard band pre-COVID. We took a lesson from the E Street Band and the touring Stones. I played a lot of organ while my friend played piano. Other times, I might play the horn parts and he takes the keyboard parts. And other times I might be doing synth. If you look at what many bands do when they are touring, we often see two keyboards. But they are doing different things. If you chord with each other or with the string twangers it can get muddy. The other thing you may consider is to listen to the songs using some quality audio gear and full audio files (versus MP3). You should be able to hear where the audio engineer is using multiple tracks. For example, listen to the Outro in Time of the Season by the Zombies as originally recorded. You will hear two complimentary organ riffs going simultaneously. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Ask a Question