Looking at Yamaha MM6, what alternatives are there?

Reaction score
I currently use a Yamaha PSR340 which i bought in 2000 when i first started gigging as a keyboard player. It still works no problem and does what i need it to do so i havent been looking for a replacement. The piano's, strings, organ and lead synth sounds are great for what i need... I was with the Kids in Toys R Us and switched on the current offering from yamaha priced at £79.99 and was blown away by the quality of the sounds, just like my PSR but crisper, cleaner and more life like, but it had a bit of a "toy" feel to it though (keys light up etc) and the wife was there so i couldn't abuse the plastic and take one home.

When i got home, i started seacrhing throught the yamaha range and came across the MM6 and was blown away by the yamaha demo's. I can pick one up new for less than £400 and the sounds are just incredible.

Is there anything else i should try before buying it? I play through a keyboard amp and PA system when gigging but it will be stored and used mostly in my own studio and only by me i'll take it home occasionally to practice. it also comes with Cubase LE so i'd probably do some recording too

Reaction score
'
Sounds to me like your mind's made up!

Although Yamaha's 'realistic' acoustic sounds (pianos in particular) are acknowedged as amongst the best in the business, their organ & synths aren't quite as good as some others (in many peoples opinion).

But from what you describe as your requirements & (mainly) price range I don't think you'll do any better than the MM6.

Reaction score
I currently use a Yamaha PSR340 which i bought in 2000 when i first started gigging as a keyboard player. It still works no problem and does what i need it to do so i havent been looking for a replacement. The piano's, strings, organ and lead synth sounds are great for what i need... I was with the Kids in Toys R Us and switched on the current offering from yamaha priced at £79.99 and was blown away by the quality of the sounds, just like my PSR but crisper, cleaner and more life like, but it had a bit of a "toy" feel to it though (keys light up etc) and the wife was there so i couldn't abuse the plastic and take one home.

When i got home, i started seacrhing throught the yamaha range and came across the MM6 and was blown away by the yamaha demo's. I can pick one up new for less than £400 and the sounds are just incredible.

Is there anything else i should try before buying it? I play through a keyboard amp and PA system when gigging but it will be stored and used mostly in my own studio and only by me i'll take it home occasionally to practice. it also comes with Cubase LE so i'd probably do some recording too

It's true that even some of the least expensive Yamahas nowadays are great value and they certainly rule the lower price range keyboard market. Particularly in the last five or ten years or so.

It sounds to me that the MM6 might be just the thing you're looking for. They call it the "mini-Motif", whereas the full Motif workstations are about a couple of thousand pounds I think.

Reaction score
now liking the MM8... though its double the price of the MM6 over here!!! i had an MM6 on order (buy now pay later) but they couldn't get it here on time so i cancelled (i had the cash ready to buy it by then too... but bills came in and took priority!!)

Reaction score
Mm6

Is there anything else i should try before buying it?

There is the Roland Juno D I think. And a Korg model with little handles on the side, I can't recall the model number. Go to a site like music123.com and shop around.

I bought a Yamaha MM6 in Dec 07. I have been teaching myself keyboard since. The MM6 has been a great 'starter synth' or as my son calls it an "entry level performance-based keyboard'. It has lots of nice sounds, also MIDI outputs which is great because you can play it with a software synth to get even more interesting sounds.

I think some of the cheaper models have a USB MIDI output, but my experience is that USB MIDI has some driver issues and some MIDI apps such as Propellerhead Reason work better with the traditional MIDI cables. (no driver necessary.)

Of course now that I know a little more about keyboards I am lusting for a SERIOUS keyboard like one of those Hammond B3s... $2000 Smackers.:eek:

Also I can see on Craigslist you can buy some pretty beefy USED synths & boards for $600. (drool). However that's not always convenient or reliable.

One thing that attracted me to the MM6 as someone new to keys was it was easy to find the sounds and fairly easy to use. It also has a little recording capability, you can record a few tracks as a way of capturing ideas.

But now that I have been watching bands with keyboard players I understand that you can't get by with only ONE keyboard...so I'm wondering what I should get NEXT:D.

PS. No I'm not in a band and probably not good enough, it probly takes 5 years to just get that confidence & 'chops'.:rolleyes: And by then I will definitely be TOO OLD.:(

Reaction score
Of course now that I know a little more about keyboards I am lusting for a SERIOUS keyboard like one of those Hammond B3s... $2000 Smackers.

Blimey - a Hammond B3 for $2000?????

In the UK the price for a used one of these is around £10,000.00 (approx $16,000.00 USD).

If you've seen one for $2000 - buy it!

Ps - this is an ORGAN ONLY - no piano/strings/brass/pads/ etc etc - or any other sounds at all.

Reaction score
To BigGav: How about eBay? I recently bought an MM6 on eBay for a little over $300.00!

Reaction score
I lucked out

I lucked out and found one with "Free Shipping" and that's the reason I was enticed to bid on it. However, I would expect it to be somewhere around $35.00, because it only weighs about 12 pounds! With the adapter and box, I would suspect it would only weigh about 16 - 18 pounds. It is alot better than paying retail! eBay has some amazing deals on keyboards! People seem to want to buy the "Latest and Greatest Keyboard" and are quick to sell what they have.

Reaction score
One man's trash is another man's treasure. Even if it's not trash in the first place :) Go for it.

Reaction score
well... quick update.... I have managed to find an MM8 for £400..... well infact 5 MM8's!!!! a school bought them last year for the music department and has now realised that they are completley unusable by most of the pupils.

I'm picking it up on Thursday and will be playing it live on Friday.

Reaction score
Hi. What area are you from

I might be interested in upgrading my Juno d for one of the mm8's if the school has any left.

Thanks. Bren

Ask a Question