Looking for a solution to more quickly pull up patches

Reaction score
I'm looking for a way to more quickly pull up patches on my Roland RD88 stage piano. The favorites banks take two puttons to pull up a sounds and I'm looking for a way to have a dedicated button for each patch. Since I'm doing live looping improv, it's very helpful to have access to different patches as fast as possible.

I'm envisioning a grid of buttons (like a launchpad), with each button pulling up a dedicated patch on the keyboard.

I've had difficulty getting the launchpad to do this. I've tried using ableton as a usb-midi hub, no luck so far.

Is there an Ipad app that can do this? A piece of hardware? Is there a different keybaord that is able to do this somehow?

thanks

roland rd88
launchpad x
Boss RC505 mkii loop station
focusrite 4i4
apple macbook air M1

Reaction score
Yes, there are numerous iPad apps that allow you to have named on-screen buttons that will send a Program Change to call up a desired patch. There are some things where you can create a grid of buttons, I don't remember the names off-hand, but there are also numerous "Set List" apps which are typically used to list your songs, and they will send out the Program Change when you call up the song... but there's no reason a "song" can't just be the name of a patch. Set List Maker is one of them (the MIDI functionality is an IAP).

Reaction score
Great thanks for this! I'd love to find out which app can creat the "grid of buttons." If the name occurs to you, please let me know!

Reaction score
For a grid of buttons, a couple you could look at would be:

In general, some other apps that should let you send Program changes from on-screen buttons would include MIDI Designer Pro, TouchOSC, Camelot Pro, Keystage, iMidiPatchbay, Set List Maker, OnSong, ForScore... but not necessarily in a grid-of-buttons layout, or in some cases perhaps not as easily so.

Reaction score
The Windows version of this is called Pendulum and can be found at www.firehouse.co.za - the first icon is for Pendulum. If there is a database issue, then swop the driver strings in the ini file. It does more than the iPad and Android versions and is designed for a touchscreen laptop.

Ask a Question