Looking my first keyboard

Reaction score
Looking to buy my first keyboard I'm torn between the CT s400 or the CT x3000
Considering this will be my first what's your suggestions between these 2

Reaction score
First keyboard - between these two go with the CTS400 - better portability - looks to have the same AiX sound engine as the CTX3000 (which I own and do not recommend). It's about $50 less than the 3000. One thing though - the speakers are an anemic 2.5W - small room volume at best. Better solution if you don't mind used in good condition: Casio CTK6000 - better sound engine, portable - and - it's stereo (L and R outs) if you ever want to play it someday through a PA or amp. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Casio/CTK-6000-Portable-Keyboard.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If I may interject, for a paltry few sheckels more, consider a Numa Compact 2x instead of Casio trash and learn to love your keyboard for the next decade or 2 :)

$750 USD is a helluva lot of keyboard for very little money.

Last edited:
Reaction score
So in affect you're saying "spend an extra $300+ on a beginners keyboard, and if you find keys aren't your cup o tea then oh well". Casio has come a long way since the dollar watches.

Reaction score
A Casio is not a good buy.

Sounds are iffy, the operating system is not intuitive.

I posted elsewhere that I had a CT X5000 for a weekend, it was returned. Yes the CT-X range is that bad.

For a beginner keyboard there really is an option depending upon what you want!

Want to learn piano, then a digital piano with weighted keys is what you really should consider, downside is the cost, a Yamaha N45 is $450

Want to learn keyboards then a Yamaha E series is the way to go. E473 would IMO be a better buy than a Casio and at $370 and it is a few buck cheaper.

Roland’s starter keyboard is a toy, Korg’s is pretty old but the EK 50 is pretty good.

The Studiologic Compact 2X as suggested by Gary is not what I would suggest, I have one but presently it is bust, I need to open it up and find the power issue it has. Plus they are not the most robust of keyboards.

Reaction score
E473 would IMO be a better buy than a Casio and at $370

I wouldn't necessarily judge the newer Casios by your bad experience with an older one. But anyway, there's some more detailed discussion of Casio and Yamaha boards of this type at https://www.keyboardforums.com/thre...ween-yamaha-psr-e473-and-casio-ct-s500.33390/

I like the CT-S500, but I'd like to check out the E473 some time, too. (I wish Casio would make an updated 76-key board... their WK-6600/7600 are going on 10 years old, and newer Casios do seem to have some notable improvements.)

Getting back to the original question...
Looking to buy my first keyboard I'm torn between the CT s400 or the CT x3000
Considering this will be my first what's your suggestions between these 2

Picking up from what some of Biggles said as well, what is your goal? Since you're torn, how did you come to narrow it down to those two in the first place, and what is it you think you might like more about the S400, and what is it you think you might like more about the x3000?

Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily judge the newer Casios by your bad experience with an older one. But anyway, there's some more detailed discussion of Casio and Yamaha boards of this type at https://www.keyboardforums.com/thre...ween-yamaha-psr-e473-and-casio-ct-s500.33390/

I like the CT-S500, but I'd like to check out the E473 some time, too. (I wish Casio would make an updated 76-key board... their WK-6600/7600 are going on 10 years old, and newer Casios do seem to have some notable improvements.)

Getting back to the original question...

Picking up from what some of Biggles said as well, what is your goal? Since you're torn, how did you come to narrow it down to those two in the first place, and what is it you think you might like more about the S400, and what is it you think you might like more about the x3000?
Hi narrowed it down to these 2 by looking at countless review and YouTube vids lol
Was looking something not really expensive but something I won't have to upgrade in 6 months either

Reaction score
A Casio is not a good buy.

Sounds are iffy, the operating system is not intuitive.

I posted elsewhere that I had a CT X5000 for a weekend, it was returned. Yes the CT-X range is that bad.

For a beginner keyboard there really is an option depending upon what you want!

Want to learn piano, then a digital piano with weighted keys is what you really should consider, downside is the cost, a Yamaha N45 is $450

Want to learn keyboards then a Yamaha E series is the way to go. E473 would IMO be a better buy than a Casio and at $370 and it is a few buck cheaper.

Roland’s starter keyboard is a toy, Korg’s is pretty old but the EK 50 is pretty good.

The Studiologic Compact 2X as suggested by Gary is not what I would suggest, I have one but presently it is bust, I need to open it up and find the power issue it has. Plus they are not the most robust of keyboards.
At one time I had a Roland Fantom G8 and a Casio CTK-7000 in my line-up. The Casio was a phenomenal addition - even if it did look like a toy - once the user patches were re-edited / tweaked the sound perimeters - the keyboard is incredible. Don't knock Casio because of their past reputation of dollar watches and kiddy toys. They make serious instruments now. BTW though - I agree with you on the AiX sound engine - huge set-back.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Casio started going downhill right after the WK, CTK, and PX models.

They decided to leave out the pro features and coast on their past reputation. :p

Reaction score
Casio started going downhill right after the WK, CTK, and PX models.

They decided to leave out the pro features and coast on their past reputation. :p
Why I recommended a good used CTK-6000 to this fella. Not bad for a beginner board at less than $200 - and it has the L/R stereo outs, unlike the more expensive CTX-3000. AiX sound engine is terrible compared to the older CTK 6000+ models.

Ask a Question