Looking for advice & input

Reaction score
First things first - I'm a bassist that plays some keys (mainly via a Studiologic MP113) in a rock cover band.

I currently have been using one of my Roalnd XP80 keyboards in my band (I know it is old and very outdated...lol). I want to get a new keyboard but I would like something that is similar to the XP80 if that is possible.

I have been looking at the Juno DS61 and DS88 keyboards. I am mainly looking for something that might have a somewhat similar setup/layout to the XP80 so I do not become too lost when trying to get the new keyboard up and running quickly (we have quite a lot of shows coming up).

Does anyone have experience with these keyboards?

Any thoughts would be truly appreciated!

Thanks...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I own a DS61 and I have to say that it is ideal for simplicity of use and admirably suited to application as a performance synth.

While it has an amazing range of voices, they are laid out with simple navigation thru category bank selection, and while it lacks an onboard sequencer it does have a simple DAW button for use with any computer DAW program.

The arpeggiators are there if you need them and likewise easily accessible as are splits and layers and it has enough simple drum patterns built in with the step sequencer that it could also stand alone without a band if you needed rhythms in a pinch.

It's priced very competitively for its available feature set and if I had one regret about my purchase it's that I bought the 61 key version instead of the 88.

Great synth, easy to use, and you wouldn't regret buying one for a heartbeat if you picked one up.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I own a DS61 and I have to say that it is ideal for simplicity of use and admirably suited to application as a performance synth.

While it has an amazing range of voices, they are laid out with simple navigation thru category bank selection, and while it lacks an onboard sequencer it does have a simple DAW button for use with any computer DAW program.

The arpeggiators are there if you need them and likewise easily accessible as are splits and layers and it has enough simple drum patterns built in with the step sequencer that it could also stand alone without a band if you needed rhythms in a pinch.

It's priced very competitively for its available feature set and if I had one regret about my purchase it's that I bought the 61 key version instead of the 88.

Great synth, easy to use, and you wouldn't regret buying one for a heartbeat if you picked one up.

Gary ;)
Thank you for your input!!

Reaction score
As Gary suggests, the DS-61 is a very fine keyboard at a very reasonable price, but if you are used to (and need) the 76 key format of the XP-80, the DS-61, as its name suggests, is only 61 keys. If you can live with 61 keys, but need a full fledged workstation with an onboard sequencer, like the XP-80, then you may want to look at the FA-06, but the FA-06/08 are Roland's current top of the line models, so their complexity, learning curve, and price would be comparatively greater than the DS-61. I still have my XP-80 with a full set of voice expansion cards, and still play it almost daily. I tried both the Jupiter-50 and the Juno-Gi several years ago. I loved their sounds, but missed the onboard sequencers, so I sold them and went back to the XP-80. I am currently considering the FA-06 very seriously, but am concerned I will miss the 76 keys of the XP-80 - especially for splits. I would suggest visiting your local music shops to try out any considerations you may have.

Last edited:

Ask a Question