MX-49 Saving Performances?

Reaction score
Just bought an MX-49 to play in a band. We have 4 tunes right now and I want to use a different Voice or pair of Voices for layers and splits while playing each song.

for example:

song #1 would have KB #002 with octave setting +2

song #2 would have ORG #015

song #3 would have ORG #029 with octave setting -1

song #4 would have KB #003 split for part 1 octave setting -1
and ORG #008 for part 2 octave setting +2

As I understand it I need to put these settings into one Performance (1 of 128 Performances). Each Performance has 16 assignable Parts.

From the four songs, I count 5 Parts. So I need to program them in to Parts 1,2,3,4 and 5? Or should I be programming them with the thought of using pairs for potential layering and splitting? so 1, 3, 5 for song 1 through 3, and then 7 and 8 where I am using a split on song 4?

I've played around for a couple minutes with programming these from the keyboard.
Does the free software (haven't downloaded it yet) that comes with this Yamaha MX49 allow me to do this sort of programming from a desktop computer? I have both mac and windows 11.

Reaction score
Without additional software, a Performance may only include one split or layered pair. So if you wanted to put all of that in one Performance, you'd use parts 1 and 2 for song #4, and then you could use parts 3, 4, and 5 (or any other 3 parts of your choosing) for the single sounds each of your first three songs use, and you rule out any potential layering/splitting with those additional sounds. If you want a single Performance to be able to include more than a single split/layered combination, you can do that with the optional John Melas software (or the defunct Vycro software if you can locate it).

You also have the option of giving every song its own Performance, which works well when used in conjunction with the Performance Direct Select function of the MX.

Ask a Question