Reaction score
Hello to everyone. New member here. I’m expecting delivery today of the KORG PA5X.
i spent months googling reviews on this model, YouTube videos etc, and finally made my decision to go ahead and buy one.

I have a Yamaha Genos, which I bought when it was first released taking over the Tyros. I wasn’t inspired enough to upgrade to Genos 2. There was not enough improvements to part ex my Genos and fork out an extra three grand or more! So I figured the option of buying the KORG PA5X was a much better option. I particularly wanted the synth actions. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Genos and intend to keep it alongside as it is a totally different keyboard to the KORG. Although from what I have discovered, most KORG users say the strings are much better on the KORG. Judging by the videos I’ve heard to compare strings between both keyboards, I am inclined to agree.

I am finding it difficult to purchase the dedicated KORG PAAS for this. Everyone seems to be out of stock. Meantime I’ll use a pair of studio monitors.

Really looking forward to trying out the pa5x and compare against my Genos.

:)

Reaction score
Welcome.

Which version did you buy?

I was keen on a Pa5X 76 when it first came out but after finding out that many of the prior 4X features were missing but promised in future updates I decided to hold up. Over 18 months later barely any significant updates have been released.

The cost has come down by £500 in that period so at least it is getting into more realistic territory.

Enjoy

Reaction score
Welcome.

Which version did you buy?

I was keen on a Pa5X 76 when it first came out but after finding out that many of the prior 4X features were missing but promised in future updates I decided to hold up. Over 18 months later barely any significant updates have been released.

The cost has come down by £500 in that period so at least it is getting into more realistic territory.

Enjoy
Hi there. I bought the 61 key. I would have liked the 76 but haven’t got the room! The Genos is a 76 key and with the KORG 61 key, that’s just enough room. The 88 key would have been a killer but I doubt I would ever go for a hammer action as I more of a keyboard player than a pianist.

I got a great deal on the KORG PA5X from Music Matter. They have a sale on until end of January. Worth checking out compared to other retailers mark up!

Reaction score
£2899 is the lowest price I have seen.

You did well in your buy, Music Matter is my local store 10 minutes from home.

I was in the store last week to pick a MIDI keyboard controller.

Reaction score
£2899 is the lowest price I have seen.

You did well in your buy, Music Matter is my local store 10 minutes from home.

I was in the store last week to pick a MIDI keyboard controller.
£2,754 after 5% sale discount. Some retailers are asking as much as £3,600! Pays to google around.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums @Fitzrovia
It would be most beneficial to others here if you could post some reviews on the PA5X once you run it in and put it through its paces.
Enjoy and hope you become a regular poster here.
Ray

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums @Fitzrovia
It would be most beneficial to others here if you could post some reviews on the PA5X once you run it in and put it through its paces.
Enjoy and hope you become a regular poster here.
Ray
First impressions. Early stages.

The superb quality. THE WEIGHT: I have a Yamaha Genos 76 key, which weighs 13kilogram when the Korg PA5X 61 key weighed in at 20k! Amazing. No doubt due to the body made from aluminium and wood sides. The Genos body is plastic. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not knocking the Genos, but surprised Yamaha still produces plastic units, given the high price and the onboard quality styles and sounds.

KEYBOARD; As soon as I touched the keys, yes definitely semi weighted. Feels more like playing a piano. Really liked it.

STRINGS: Wow! Many reviews I have read and heard, indicated the Korg strings are more realistic than Genos and even the latest Genos 2. I’ve had Genos since it was released and love it as a workstation. I always thought the strings could be better and set about creating my own string sounds. But the Korg just blows me away as to how realistic the strings are. And with so many variations.

I can’t comment on anything else yet, such as styles and voices, until I’ve played around with them.

On the downside;
Unfortunately I’m not so impressed with the Korg software update system. Having downloaded the latest version to my MacBook only to find Apple won’t allow the file to open as it’s classed as unidentified developer. Can’t even bypass this under security settings. Even tried on iMac latest model. Have emailed Korg to release a firmware file that can be opened by Apple Mac. Otherwise if we can’t update the Korg operating software, then it is of no use and would need to be returned. I hope not. Just need to give Korg a kick to get moving!

The Korg’s dedicated PAAS speaker: Where are they? Although we can use external studio monitors, the PA5X has been designed to accept their PAAS. But they are unavailable at Korg and retailers. What’s happening there? I’ll put this to Korg. I’d really like the PAAS on this keyboard.

Still it’s early days. I’m too busy enjoying the discovery of what this little beast is capable of. I particularly bought this for the strings and synths, which makes this an outstanding arranger. Will be interesting to compare certain sounds and styles with Genos to the Korg.

If I didn’t own a Genos would I still go for the Korg? No, I would have the Genos or the Genos 2. To me they are both different units. Genos being a workstation and Korg more of an arranger. So I would only do what I have done now, which is to have both. I couldn’t let go of the Genos and certainly wouldn’t part ex towards Genos 2 for many reasons. That’s a separate issue.

Hope my initial thoughts are of some help. Will update soon as I can.

Reaction score
Good to read, I’ve answered your Update post and I had no problem getting into the Zip file on my Macbook and copying the PKG file at a USB drive. The file is universal so you could try using a PC if stuck.

I dislike Yamaha. Piano sounds are great, others way off the mark, strings strained, with brass very harsh and reminiscent of the brass in James Last’s orchestra where it always sounded like the brass section were being throttled. Then there is the Yamaha menu system with all its deep diving.

The Korg OS manuals do leave a lot to be desired as being translated for their native Klingon something does go amiss.

The Pa OS is vastly better and easier to learn than the OS on other Korg keyboards so do stick with it.

Reaction score
Good to read, I’ve answered your Update post and I had no problem getting into the Zip file on my Macbook and copying the PKG file at a USB drive. The file is universal so you could try using a PC if stuck.

I dislike Yamaha. Piano sounds are great, others way off the mark, strings strained, with brass very harsh and reminiscent of the brass in James Last’s orchestra where it always sounded like the brass section were being throttled. Then there is the Yamaha menu system with all its deep diving.

The Korg OS manuals do leave a lot to be desired as being translated for their native Klingon something does go amiss.

The Pa OS is vastly better and easier to learn than the OS on other Korg keyboards so do stick with it.
Thanks Biggles. I’ve managed to sort the firmware upgrade file out in the end! You‘re so right about the Yamaha menu system. I’ve had my Genos over six years and still figuring things out! KORG were pretty quick to respond over Email.

Really looking forward to bashing out the KORG PA, especially now the update has been done. It does feel a lot easier to operate.

Reaction score
THE WEIGHT: I have a Yamaha Genos 76 key, which weighs 13kilogram when the Korg PA5X 61 key weighed in at 20k
Just to correct myself on the weight, as someone has pointed out to me quite rightly. The KORG PA5X 61 key is 15.1kg and not 20kg. That was the 88 key version.

Ask a Question