Out of retirement

Reaction score
I retired from playing live 3 years ago. I've been getting pressure for a long time to join various bands around here, but I've respectfully declined all offers. But I've been getting an offer repeatedly for a while now from one band in particular that has top players and work good gigs somewhat local - no big travel involved. I finally said yes.

Well, I needed a new keyboard to drag out and about, so I ordered a Korg Kross 2-61 from Sweetwater this morning. https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/kross2/
Needed a mixer so I got a Mackie MIX12FX. Grabbed a new Shure Beta58, too. I'll make back any money I spent back in about 3 or 4 months. This band has been around for many years. I'll be workin for the weekends, but I welcome it.

I am about beyond excited. Got the set list - working on it, a lot I already know.

So ya, I last worked 3 1/2 years ago. In fact, I did a wedding and the reception following.

That was up top of the mountain at a ski resort in Colorado. I played while the guests were waiting for the bride, then she wanted "Something" by The Beatles for the bridal march. I learned it for that gig, but still play (and sing) it in my solo repertoire today - goes over well.

Jim1.jpg

Then I went down and played the reception with my band. Made lot's of money that day :)

Jim 2.jpg

There I am at another gig - same era, right before I retired.

jim 3.jpg

I'll post a video when I get the new Korg up and going - Jim

Reaction score
The new Korg arrived! Got it set up in my little corner and checking it out. I've spent a couple hours on it so far, and have some thoughts.

It's the smallest, lightest weight keyboard I've ever owned. It seems toy-like, but good quality at the same time. Like an expensive toy.

I was disappointed with the keybed when I had it hooked up and was playing. So... well, my Virus TI2 has a Fatar keybed - it's really amazing, but I don't expect the Kross to compare to that. I made money for a few years with 2 Roland VR-09's - the keybed was different getting used to, but I eventually liked it because it was "fast & easy" when playing long late night gigs. I mean, try playing a Rhodes for 4 hours straight - it will wear you out. Then I got a Roland VR-730. I was anxious to try the waterfall keybed - I wasn't impressed. I've owned a couple Hammonds in the past. The VR-730 plays nothing like a Hammond.

So back to the Kross 2 keybed... It's lousy. Sorry Korg. When I first started playing it I was thinking wtf, omg, my Casio plays better than this. But I remembered how the VR-09 keybed took some getting used to, so I kept at it, and I'm getting used to it, and decided it's playable.

So I wired it into my little 8" speakers through a mixer and listened to some pianos, strings, organs, brass, and synth stuff. I found everything acceptable for what I'm going to use it for. I can't rave about the quality of sound, but it's not a whimpy dog by any means. There's enough sonic clarity and punch to work on stage.

One of the reasons I selected this was it's workstation capabilities. I will say, the drum machine in this thing is really fun. The combi programs with layers, splits, and drum tracks that are built in are well done. I can't wait to start making my own stuff. Learning curve is assisted with Korg on-line instructional videos.

So ya, doesn't sound too bad. Lot's of features to assist the solo gig I'm working up. It will work fine for the new band I guess I joined. Easy to transport that's for sure. I'll have my guy at RoadCases.com make a case for it. I'm definitely keeping it. I have returned a couple keyboards in the past. I got a Roland Gaia when they first came out. Sent it back - I owned a real Moog when I was a kid, the Gaia is not a Moog. I sent back this Alesis Vortex thing once too.

I am having fun, and this things got me motivated to get into playing out and making money again.

k2.jpg

Reaction score
That is about what I expected you to write, keybed is not the best in the price range.

I had one for two years but sold it as I wanted a DP and I am not a keyboard collector.

I created quite a lot of Combi’s and like most Korg keyboards the sound certainly benefit from adjusting the Eq.

Do also check that your K2 has the updated sounds, I am not sure if they incorporated the 2019 (I think that is the right year) updated sounds into the keyboard or if it is still a free download and update DIY

Reaction score
Making progress with the K2. I turned the velocity curve up and it makes it more playable to me. I'm not having to press the keys so hard to get full velocity. Makes it easier to play the white keys when your fingers are up in the black keys. Like if you're comping jazz in Bb for example.

Anyway, I took Biggles suggestion and updated the system. Actually makes a "biggles" difference :) (sorry, couldn't resist). Also got the Sweetwater Bonus Banks loaded. I'm liking the organ sounds. I can actually set things Hammond style - sounds decent, I can make it scream.

So ya, setting up favorites, got my expression pedal controls figured out. I want to get the Korg Oasys Piano, The EP and Synth Collections loaded up, then I want to get the sequencer and drum machines figured out. Oh, and the effects section. Gonna take a while. The manual has been good.

I should probably make a video. Add that to the list...

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Making progress with the K2. I turned the velocity curve up and it makes it more playable to me. I'm not having to press the keys so hard to get full velocity. Makes it easier to play the white keys when your fingers are up in the black keys. Like if you're comping jazz in Bb for example.
Can you explain to me what is a velocity curve and how does it relate to how hard you press a key?
My technical brain tells me velocity means speed. Pressing keys gently or hard makes the sound soft or loud.
I cannot relate the two.
BTW . Isn't there a touch control enabling key pressure to be piano like or uniform throughout.?
Ray

Reaction score
Velocity is a parameter specified in Midi. A velocity curve is a way to customize what note velocity results from an amount of force with which you play.

The Kross lets you select a curve globally (all the programs use it by default), that can be saved. I selected a curve that lets me play gently, but sound as if I'm playing hard. Not just note on/note off, and yes, I have sacrificed a little of the sensitivity, but not a lot - just moderately. I can still range from piano (soft) to fortissimo (loud).

The Kross also lets you adjust key velocity per individual program. It's generally wide open for organ patches - key on/key off, and of course varies for most everything else, like piano and strings, etc.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In a nutshell, there are two sensors on a musical keyboard.

The first registers the top of the stroke.

The second registers the bottom of the keystroke.

The time interval between these events is inversely proportional to the velocity of the keystroke.

The shorter the pulse, the louder the note.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question