Pleased to meet you - Yamaha PSR E423 Player

Reaction score
I have joined this forum in the hope that I can get some advice on setting up my E423 to play Carols at Christmas.

I have read the manual right through but am confused as there are so many settings that can be made.

Any help or advice would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Welcome.

Perhaps a little bit more information about yourself will help us in given more tailored information.

The 423 has been around for quite a few years now and a quick search online shows that there are demo Christmas songs on the 423 posted on Youtube so these may help.

Also yamahamusicsoft.com has Christmas Style packs available.

Good luck.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I have a number of keyboards in the same line as the PSR-E423, so I can try to help if you give us a better understanding of what exactly you're trying to accomplish-- such as, let the keyboard play songs by itself (like a player piano) while everyone sings along; or set up a series of Registrations so you can quickly switch between different Voices while you play the keyboard for people to sing along to; or load a collection of external Style files which are ideal for specific Christmas carols; etc.

Reaction score
I have a number of keyboards in the same line as the PSR-E423, so I can try to help if you give us a better understanding of what exactly you're trying to accomplish-- such as, let the keyboard play songs by itself (like a player piano) while everyone sings along; or set up a series of Registrations so you can quickly switch between different Voices while you play the keyboard for people to sing along to; or load a collection of external Style files which are ideal for specific Christmas carols; etc.

Hello, and thank you for answering my questions.

Loading a collection of external Style files (or my word, Recipes) for specific Christmas Carols would be fantastic please.

Or perhaps a list of Recipes I can input myself (e.g.

1. Music Database 126
2. voice 040
3. style 080

Etc

I live in a retirement village and it would be lovely if I could play some Carols at Christmas.

Thanks again.

Marian

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Marian,
Welcome to the forums.
Best of luck with the carols.
You can easily and safely and legally download christmas carols from the www. Just do a quick google search and you will have heaps to choose from. Many can be played with a basic waltz 3/4 time or basic 8 beat 4/4 time. There are many relevant voices to choose for Christmsd . .flute, piano etc.
I usually write little pencil notes on my sheet music at the top of the page telling me tempo, style, voices etc. I only save my very favourite settings and complicated tunes in my memory bank. Can only save 64 tunes and would not want to waste the space on basic settings. I think most Christmas carols are pretty standard and quite easy to remember and play.
Ray.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Marian, do you have an iPad or laptop computer that you can use with the PSR-E423? The reason I ask is that there are apps which can display the sheet music for a song and send MIDI messages to a connected keyboard for selecting the voice to use, or that can display a particular song's sheet music when you select a particular Registration on a connected keyboard, etc. You don't need to use something like that, but it would be nice to know what other devices you have available to use with your PSR-E423 so we can take them into account.

Reaction score
Hi Marian,
Welcome to the forums.
Best of luck with the carols.
You can easily and safely and legally download christmas carols from the www. Just do a quick google search and you will have heaps to choose from. Many can be played with a basic waltz 3/4 time or basic 8 beat 4/4 time. There are many relevant voices to choose for Christmsd . .flute, piano etc.
I usually write little pencil notes on my sheet music at the top of the page telling me tempo, style, voices etc. I only save my very favourite settings and complicated tunes in my memory bank. Can only save 64 tunes and would not want to waste the space on basic settings. I think most Christmas carols are pretty standard and quite easy to remember and play.
Ray.

Thank you very much for your reply. I have been struggling to remember the word I needed to explain what I was trying to get.

Finally the word came to me today - Registration!

I am seeking registrations for some Christmas Carols to be played on my Yamaha PSRe423.

I have sheet music for all the Carols but now need to know how to set up the keyboard to play each one.

Once a pianist, with just one sound coming out of a piano, I find the enormous choice offered by my keyboard interesting but confusing.

I am a Senior trying to grapple with hundreds of sounds!

Again, thank you for your reply.

Marian

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Reaction score
Marian, do you have an iPad or laptop computer that you can use with the PSR-E423? The reason I ask is that there are apps which can display the sheet music for a song and send MIDI messages to a connected keyboard for selecting the voice to use, or that can display a particular song's sheet music when you select a particular Registration on a connected keyboard, etc. You don't need to use something like that, but it would be nice to know what other devices you have available to use with your PSR-E423 so we can take them into account.

I have an iPad which I could connect to the keyboard via USB. I don't know anything about midi files. Could you please suggest what I could search for on Google as your suggestions sound very helpful.

Thanks again,

Marian

Reaction score
Marian

A standard USB lead is one item you need.

To connect up to your iPad you will need a genuine Apple Camera Adaptor, please notice I wrote genuine Apple, do not buy a cheap copy off Amazon or Ebay.

There are two types of Camera Adaptor but the best has two sockets, 1 being USB and the other a Lightning socket into which you can plug in your iPad charger if you do not want to be running on the iPad battery.

Connect everything BEFORE you power keyboard and iPad up, then power everything down BEFORE disconnecting.

In the iPad store you will find quite a lot of Yamaha Apps that will help you with your music.

Another App to install is Garage Band, its an Apple product and is free, you will need a fairly recent operating system in your iPad.

Ask a Question