Rebel Yell - what model keyboard?

Reaction score
Hi there.

Does anyone know what kind of synthesizer was used in Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell"? I read that it -might- be a Casio, but I'd still like to know the exact model (or how I can duplicate that sound via a MIDI controller).

Thanks!
Lanny

Reaction score
hehe... My band plays that song on every gig. I searched ALL of my motif sounds and couldn't find a single one even similar to the one on rebel yell.

Al motif sounds are crystal clear, and the "rebel yell" sound is pure trash :)

so i really don't have any advice to give you except - try to find the most trashiest sound your keyboard has... and that should cover it :)

Reaction score
Rebel Yell - ROLAND JUPITER 8

Thank you kindly!!

I actually downloaded the original music video and took a very close look at the keyboard. It's a ROLAND. Based on the shape of the keyboard and the configuration of the knobs, it's likely a Roland Jupiter 8. I listened to a few samples of the Roland Jupiter 8 on YouTube, and it definitely sounds like the same keyboard.

Someone on eBay is selling a CD with all of the Roland Jupiter 8 samples, so I'm going to order it and just access the sounds via MIDI.

Anyway, I'm glad to know that there's other bands out there still doing the Rebel Yell. :) Thanks again for your response.

hehe... My band plays that song on every gig. I searched ALL of my motif sounds and couldn't find a single one even similar to the one on rebel yell.

Al motif sounds are crystal clear, and the "rebel yell" sound is pure trash :)

so i really don't have any advice to give you except - try to find the most trashiest sound your keyboard has... and that should cover it :)

Reaction score
This was discussed on vintagesynth.com forums -http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28534

info directly from Judi Dozier, their synth-player.
From the horses mouth:

Judi on Eyes without a face:
"That was both keyboards. The Prophet V was doing all of the
string sounds I created on the top, and I created a fat pad for the OBXA on the bottom"

Judi on Rebel Yell:
"You can hear the Prophet V on the strings and the cello on "Rebel Yell."
The strings build chords up the keyboard on the chorus [micke: the rev 2 Prophet really sounds great here], and the cello is a one-note line in the quiet parts.
The OB-XA is on the stabbing chords on the chorus.
You will hear both keyboards on the little intro that sounds like mallet keys."

She explicitly told me that the Jup-8 was a keyboard for the tour only (she liked it a lot though) and that Thommy Price probably has it nowadays.

I also asked her what keys could have been used on Billy Idol's debut album but alas, she had no idea (Judi joined the band after that album had been recorded).

She explicitly told me that the Jup-8 was a keyboard for the tour only (she liked it a lot though) and that Thommy Price probably has it nowadays.

I also asked her what keys could have been used on Billy Idol's debut album but alas, she had no idea (Judi joined the band after that album had been recorded).

Last edited:

Ask a Question