Samsung Bluray Player plays MIDIs!

Reaction score
Not exactly a Yamaha topic... however in my efforts to gather all my MIDIs in one place to test on EZ300,
I discover that my Samsung BluRay player can play them... after all these years! Then again it plays ogg and
other "obscure" formats too. :)

What other DVD/BR players handle MIDIs I wonder?!?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I believe you own a Karaoke MIDI Plus G capable player.

At least I think that's what they are called.

An acquaintance of mine who passed away almost a decade ago used to be a DJ back in the day and he was always on the lookout for one of those machines.

If you still own the specs sheet or the original box it came in it should be listed as a feature in the fine print.

I own a cheap assed DVD player (I never got into Blueray) and I'm gonna burn up a MIDI CD and see if it plays on it. Actually on second thought it has a USB port for a memory stick.

I'll run a test and get back to you. :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Nope. My $40 Megatek doesn't even seem to respond properly to the USB stick, much less play +G.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I downloaded the manual for my Samsung Blu-ray player, searched the PDF file for "MIDI," and found several hits! ... for "humidity." :(

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, I believe the specification is "Karaoke+G"

Look for it under Supported Media Specs.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Nope, not found. It's an older model-- not that MIDI/karaoke is new, but I don't know when that feature became common(?) on Blu-ray players.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I believe the scarcity of CD+G on most players is due to licensing fees, not technical reasons.

Some manufacturers offered it as a bonus feature to encourage sales, but it really wasn't all that common.

The ability to actually play MID files as well as read the lyrics might be really hit or miss since the unit would have to incorporate some sort of sound chip like Yamaha's OPL series.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question