Surround Sound Monitors?

Reaction score
It just occurred to me that I could possibly use 2 pairs of monitor speakers at the same time? I know that in production it's a good idea to have more than one pair of monitors to see how your mix sounds on different speakers but I have my main monitors (Focals) by my keyboard set-up on one side of me and directly behind me about 10 feet away I have my computer with two iLoud MTM's.

I have my Focal running through my Radial KL-8 and my iLouds going through a Volt 276 Audio Interface. Could I link the two? and have sound coming from behind me too or is that just stupid?... in theory it sounds like I would have a really cool surround sound feel but I have a feeling it would not translate like that?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Keyboards don't output 5.1 audio. Only stereo at best.

Push it all thru a mixer and you could do it, but audio will mirror front to rear.

Reaction score
BTW, have you received your Novation Summit yet?

How about a review?
Not yet, waiting for Sweetwater to get them back in stock. I have had a few things go wrong when buying second-hand or from a private seller so I only buy from Sweetwater. However, the Roland Fantom is in stock so I will buy it by the week's end. I have been able to make more space in my office so now I can accommodate 4 boards so I am thinking YC 88, Roland Fantom 7, Novation Summit, and maybe a Hydrasynth.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
When I bought the Take 5, I waited 4 months for a backorder on the Korg Prologue. Chinese supply issues.

Sequential happens to be American Made and thus, no issues.

And I have to say Sequential's support blows away the support you get from Asian companies.

I was so impressed I ended up buying the Prophet Rev2 used and no problems with lifetime support.

My advice?

Cancel the backorder, buy a Rev2 16, and start making beautiful music TODAY ;)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I have really fallen for the Summit every demo of the Rev2 I haven't liked as much. Now, I might be mistaken but 'out of the box' I much prefer the Summit sounds. I am sure you can program the Rev2 to do pretty much anything but as a newbie, I really want to have a starting point! I will continue my research... thanks, Gary!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Rev2 comes with 512 presets and another 512 user slots initialized to the same voices.

Ridiculously easy to program and on Sequential's website are another 256 presets harvested from earlier models.

No way you can get an idea from a couple of videos.

You'll be waiting til doomsday for your unit to ship from China. No chance of relations improving any time soon.

Reaction score
If you're looking for a decent mixer, I can recommend this one.

EDIT > Posted wrong mixer.

Thanks Gary, I am wondering if I actually need one or not. The Radial allows me to rig up 4 keyboards each with there own levels. I was thinking about getting an Empress Reverb Pedal for effect too...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One advantage of a modern mixer is that it has a built in soundcard for recording to a computer.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
For an FX pedal I recommend the Zoom MS70CDR.

Great value for the money and built like a tank.

Last edited:

Ask a Question