Vocal mic setup if you double on guitar?

Reaction score
I play keys and rhythm guitar in a modern-ish rock cover band. I can position my vocal mic fine for playing keys and singing, but for songs where I switch to guitar, I have to lean forward to reach the Mic without bumping the guitar into the keyboard. My keyboard is a moxf8 which is pretty big from back to front.

I play standing up, if that matters.

Do you just adjust the boom on the Mic stand every time you switch? Some mic stands don't even have long enough booms to reach any farther. Or do you set the stand off to the side so you can swing the boom over for guitar songs?

There's generally not enough room on the stages we play for an extra mic stand. And I would feel like a diva asking for two separate vocal mics anyway.

This has always been a hassle for me when gigging, but in this new band they're asking me to play a lot more guitar, so it's gotten to the point where my back hurts quite a bit after a show.
Here's a shot from one of our most crowded stages!
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-07-05-12-17-34~2.png
    Screenshot_2021-07-05-12-17-34~2.png
    752.6 KB · Views: 42

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm assuming that you are talking about an acoustic guitar.

Simplest solution would be to move the mic stand and boom away from the rear of the keyboard to your right side and install a pickup on the guitar.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
consider adding a gooseneck to the end of the boom extension. Only issue might be that it gets heavy and could tip over. Would have to try it to see if would work.

mic stand extender

Reaction score
oh man, the gooseneck attachment looks perfect! Also I'm seeing a short boom that attaches directly to the keyboard stand. (on stage ksa575). Think I will order both of these. It sure would save stage space to not have a big tripod mic stand plus the boom sticking out the back.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Reaction score
I ordered the mid-length gooseneck attachment today. Thanks for the help and sorry I posted this in the wrong subforum!

Ask a Question