Vox Conti Key Springs

Reaction score
Hi Gang, I have spent a few months restoring a lovely 1965 Vox Continental. One big issue I faced was the state of the key return springs. They were very corroded and distorted. I decided to find a company that could make identical precision springs to completely replace the old ones and give the keyboard a 'brand new feel'. The problem was the cost of working up the tooling meant they were very expensive. I decided to order 10 sets so I could off-set this cost by selling the remainder on line. I don't really like eBay but may have to go down that route. I wondered if anyone had any idea how I could match these springs to Conti owners who might decide to refresh their keys with these? The company I went with for manufacture are an aircraft supplier so I am confident these springs will last the distance and keep my Conti up and running for another 60 years. Thanks

Attachments

• Conti Springs.jpeg
    Conti Springs.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Hi Gang, I have spent a few months restoring a lovely 1965 Vox Continental. One big issue I faced was the state of the key return springs. They were very corroded and distorted. I decided to find a company that could make identical precision springs to completely replace the old ones and give the keyboard a 'brand new feel'. The problem was the cost of working up the tooling meant they were very expensive. I decided to order 10 sets so I could off-set this cost by selling the remainder on line. I don't really like eBay but may have to go down that route. I wondered if anyone had any idea how I could match these springs to Conti owners who might decide to refresh their keys with these? The company I went with for manufacture are an aircraft supplier so I am confident these springs will last the distance and keep my Conti up and running for another 60 years. Thanks
try the vox continental group on facebook.

Reaction score

Hi Carl

Do you have any of these available still? I’ve been looking for years, and can’t quite belive my luck that I saw your post!

Al

Reaction score
Hi Al, great hear from you, yes I still have several set for sale. Do you know the model and year of your Conti? The springs seem to fit quite a few different models but are based on the 1965 UK Continental. Let me know if you are still interested - replacing them on my machine made a massive difference to its playability as the old ones were just corroded and distorted. I have a handy tip on the replacement job as well - so you don't make mistakes I made :)

Reaction score
Hi Carl, amazing! Mines a 64 wooden key so I’d imagine it would line up pretty well, mine have definitely lived a life on the road, a fair few “quick fixes” seem to have been made at various point, most are corroded or sprung (I feel like this might not be the right word!)

How much are you looking for for them?

Reaction score
Hi Al, is it a single rack keyboard or the dual version? That will determine how many - obviously. If it is single then you have 49 keys and I can provide a full set (+ one spare) for £125 + post and packing. I'm really not profiteering here, I got them made by a company that produce springs for airliners and they were made bespoke for the Conti. I also suffered from import tax brought on by Bloody Brexit which added another £350 onto the shipping cost. If this is too much let me know and maybe you could just replace those in the worst condition.

Reaction score
Hi Carl,

No that seems reasonable, it’s a bit of a once in a lifetime opportunity anyway as they are impossible to find and god bless you for taking the punt. Would it be splitting one of your sets if I had a few spares aswell?

I may aswell check to be sure, could you measure the gap between the top of the rear of the key and the top of the metal frame? I can’t see it being massively different but it was the 60’s!

Mines a Single stack so at least I don’t need two lots!

Reaction score
Hi Carl,

Ive done some digging and the springs definitely match between our models, so all good to go ahead on my side, how is it best to arrange the payment etc? are you happy to exchange emails?

Alistair

Reaction score
Hi Carl,

Ive done some digging and the springs definitely match between our models, so all good to go ahead on my side, how is it best to arrange the payment etc? are you happy to exchange emails?

Alistair
Hi Alister, so sorry for the huge delay here - my band were gigging and rehearsing a lot in the last couple of weeks. My email address is (e-mail address removed) we could agree payment and use PayPal if that helps. I can post them by which ever means you prefer - where are you based?
Carl

Ask a Question