Wah Wah Pedal setup

Reaction score
I would like to add a Cry Baby Wah pedal to my Yamaha MODX for playing guitar and synth sounds, but the pedal is mono, and of course I run my keyboard in stereo. Does anyone else use a wah on a synth?

Reaction score
On my Kurzweil you can setup one of the pedal jacks as a wah and trigger it with an expression pedal. It would integrate the effect in stereo. I would assume that the same thing can be done with the Yamaha. Check the manual.

Last edited:
Reaction score
On my Kurzweil you can setup one of the pedal jacks as a wah and trigger it with an expression pedal. It would integrate the effect in stereo. I would assume that the same thing can be done with the Yamaha. Check the manual.
I have a pedal plugged into the expression jack. It changes the sound in different ways for each preset. It is a basic volume pedal, and that controls expression. I don't think a wah pedal would work in that jack because the wah is changing tone, not volume. I don't want to loose that expression pedal, I want to add wah.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
On the Kurzweil, there are TWO assignable continuous pedal jacks.

EACH can be assigned to any onboard effect.

My old Juno DS had one that functioned similarly.

It is almost a certainty that your Yammie has the same feature.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, looking over this thread there seems to be some confusion over distinguishing an AUDIO pedal from a DIGITAL pedal.

If you hook it thru the AUDIO line outs, then you are processing the signal as it EXITS the keyboard.

If you hook up a CONTROLLER pedal, then you are hooking up an analog input to a DIGITAL computer that processes the input signal along with the internal voices, calculates the waveform, and finally outputs ANALOG data out thru the LINE OUTS.

It is standard for almost any higher end keyboard manufacturer to include insert and global FX on their workstations, and these can be created and controlled by any compatible analog input on, or attached to, the keyboard ittself.

You have to understand that for all it's Virtual Analog juciness, your keyboard is still basically a digital computer with A/D and D/A converters between them and the speakers.

STEREO pedals of any type are Analog OUTPUT processors. They receive and transmit the same sort of Analog signals that go directly to your speakers.

But a WAH effect can easily be computed by the keyboard/workstation itself.

So short answer?

All you need is a compatible controller pedal plugged into the right hole and two minutes fiddling with your keyboards options menus.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
My experience is that Crybaby's sound good for guitar sounds, but they're not awesome for synths. Wah typically sounds better and more organic BEFORE overdrive. That is: on a clean guitar sound (which will then be overdriven). The problem is that most synth leads are already very harmonically rich, similar to a guitar after overdrive. Also the frequency response often should be a bit different since synths tend to play a bit higher than guitars. My favorite wah for synths is absolutely the Korg MDE-X, which feels well-tuned for rich sawtooth/squarewave patches. It also has overdrive and amp sim stages. This is the "secret sauce" that Derek Sherinian uses for his meaty "Monster Leads", which are just very basic sawtooths through that effect. The same patch through a crybaby sounds way too "meow-y" for my taste, as it's a lot heavier filter. A synth doesn't need as resonant of a filter as a guitar because it typically won't be overdriven, which smooths it out. A Moog through a crybaby just sounds like you're twisting the filter nob, not really making humanistic "wah-wah" sounds.

Just my 2 cents.

Ask a Question