WTB Entry Level Workstation w/good Organ Sounds

Reaction score
My son is a pretty competent middle school piano player. He needs a new keyboard. He plays blues and jazz and we are looking for a good keyboard with great organ sounds such as Vox Continental and Hammond. He also likes to write songs and I think he is ready for a workstation to start learning about sequencing. This will be his main practice keyboard so it needs to have nice weighted keys. I need some help picking a keyboard. We would like to find something under 1K. Used would be okay. Thanks!

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Ten years old? Isn't that a little young for middle school? (Mine went to middle school around twelve.)

As for too much keyboard, that's a very difficult decision. It was quite common to buy a piano (which generally costs more than $800) when a child wished to learn to play. So I'd have no problem with spending $800 for a keyboard, assuming that he's actually serious about it. (Or that you want to play, and are using you son as an excuse. Either is good.) In fact, since the Pro X has a full piano keyboard and weighted keys, it's preparing him for piano, too. Which is even better. Who knows where he's going to end up.

But the cost of the keyboard isn't the only thing you'll need to budget for. The Pro X, like most "real" keyboards, doesn't have legs or speakers. So you'll need to budget for something to hold it up in the air, and some way for it to be heard. (Get headphones, too. I grew up listening to my father practice ten hours a day. It gets old, fast.) For the keyboard stand, don't just put it on a table. A piano keyboard is generally 29" (+/-) above the floor, which is lower than most tables. (That's at the top of the white keys.) You'll probably want a specialized keyboard stand, but they're not very expensive. Sound, on the other hand, can get expensive. Keyboards have a wide frequency range, so buying a guitar amp, bass amp, or something similar, is a bad idea.

What I don't know is whether that's a fair price for the Pro X. Someone who's got their finger on the market might be able to give a better answer.

Hope this little bit helps. You can always ask for clarifications if I'm being too cryptic.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Ten years old? Isn't that a little young for middle school? (Mine went to middle school around twelve.)
I think Jim was saying that the KB is 10 yrs old . . not his son.
Is $800 too much for a 10 yr old KB?
Anyway I doubt whether a 10 yr old child would be playing jazz and blues.

Reaction score
I think Jim was saying that the KB is 10 yrs old . . not his son.
Is $800 too much for a 10 yr old KB?
Anyway I doubt whether a 10 yr old child would be playing jazz and blues.

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I lied. He's in the 4th grade and only 9 but I exaggerated because he is far above the level for most kids his age. We gigged all summer and made good money. That said, he isn't really a jazz player but he can play the blues great and he is working on jazz standards with his teacher. I wanna get him a new keyboard to stimulate his interest...and well...he's worked hard and deserves it!

He is also very computer savy. He already knows more than I do. I think he could handle an entry level workstation. I'm a little wary of the Korg Triton because it looks really complex and it's kinda old, so if it breaks down we wouldn't have a backup. I was hoping that someone could recommend something that would work for us. I don't know anything about sequencers or MIDI. I am a guitarist/singer so I am kinda lost looking at keyboards and I have an interested party that wants to buy our entry-level Korg that he currently uses.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I just ordered in a Roland Juno DS61 that looks like the bee's knees for not too much coin. The 88 key weighted version sells around $1000 USD brand new and it looks a lot more intuitive and easier to use than a Korg Workstation. I've used a TR76 and an X50 in the past, both Triton Based and while they sound great, they can be a b*tch to program.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=juno+ds88&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

For under a grand this thing looks like a beast.

Plus no worries about dealing with out of warranty repairs on a 15 year old machine.l

Gary ;)

Ask a Question