Youtube demo sound vs original

Reaction score
I have yamaha psr-e353 and been using that for around 10 months now. I have watched many youtube videos on keyboards and they all sound a lot better than what I play, even if I play same notes. I was disappointed and thought I made a wrong purchase.

Then I searched demo videos for my keyboard and was surprised that even that sounds much better on YouTube than what I play - softer and richer, whereas sounds I hear from my playing are very thin, and seems that I hear keys striking the base. But these sounds are not heard in videos. Am I missing something here and have to do something differently?

Reaction score
First of all, the professionally produced demos never - ever - use the keyboard's built-in speakers, if it has built-in speakers. The keyboard's audio outputs are patched directly into external sound systems. The better sounding demos are run through high quality sound systems with EQ, compression, effects, etc. and everything, including the keyboard's internal sounds, are tweaked to the utmost by professional sound personnel.

Reaction score
Surprised, actually. I thought demo videos of product should at least be straight from keyboard's speakers. Because if not, then in a way it is actually cheating, showcasing something that is not from your product.

So the deficiency could really be of keyboard?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
See page 14 of the Owner's Manual for information on how to change the Master EQ (equalizer) setting. You might try playing the keyboard with each of the available Master EQ settings to see which settings produces the best sound for the particular voice(s) you've selected.

Also, see pages 18, 40, and 41 for information about the Reverb Type, Reverb Level, Chorus Type, and the Chorus Depth of the Main, Dual, and Split Voices. Adding Reverb can help make the keyboard sound like it's being played in a more spacious environment where the sound takes longer to bounce back off of the walls and ceiling. And adding Chorus to a Voice can help make it sound more like two or more of the same instrument playing in unison. The Chorus Type can also be set to two Flanger effects, which can give the Voices an interesting sound. You might want to turn up the Chorus Depth and Reverb Level functions as high as they'll go while you try out each of the different Reverb Type and Chorus Type settings, so the effect of each setting will be exaggerated ad easier to detect. Then, after you've found a Reverb Type and Chorus Type that sounds interesting with the Voices you've selected, you can turn down the Chorus Depth and Reverb Level to more reasonable settings.

Reaction score
Thanks.

I have tried with reverb level - setting that to room and hall alternatively - but not chorus. Let me try and see what I get.

Ask a Question