Ear training

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I've decided to go a little further in my music education. So I've signed up for an online ear training class from the Royal Conservatory of Music. I'm working on Level 6, because that's the piano level I'm working on. (The piano assessment also includes an ear training test.) So far I'm just reviewing, but I'm not having problems. We'll see what happens when I hit the Level six material. Theoretically, the course only runs on Chrome. But it's pretty cheap.

http://www.musicdevelopmentprogram.org/digital-learning/online-ear-training

Intervals

Students will be asked to identify any of the following intervals. The examiner will play each interval in melodic form (ascending or descending) followed by harmonic form once.

OR

Students may choose to sing or hum any of the following intervals (ascending or descending). The examiner will play the first note once.

Intervals (ascending or descending)
minor 2nd, major 2nd
minor 3rd, major 3rd
perfect 4th
perfect 5th
minor 6th, major 6th
perfect octave

Chords

Students will be asked to identify the quality of the following chords after the examiner has played the chord in solid/blocked form, close position once.

Chords Position

major and minor triads root position
dominant 7th (major–minor 7th) root position
diminished 7th root position

Chord Progressions

Students will be asked to identify chord progressions in major or minor keys as listed below, after the examiner has played the progression twice. The progression will be played in keyboard style, and the bass line will ascend from the tonic.

Major Minor
I–IV–I i–iv–i
I–V–I i–V–I

Playback

Students will be asked to play back a melody based on the complete scale (from tonic to tonic or dominant to dominant). The examiner will identify the key and time signature, play the tonic chord once, and play the melody three times.
• Before the first playing, the examiner will count one measure.
• After the second playing, the student will clap the rhythm or sing the melody.
• After the third playing, the student will play the melody.

Beginning Note / Keys / Time Signatures / Approximate Length
tonic, median / G, E major / 3/4 & 4/4 / up to nine notes
dominant, upper tonic / G, E minor / 3/4 & 4/4 / up to nine notes

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
That sounds great! I'll have to look into it.

For intervals, there are some web pages that list well-known songs which use a particular interval-- so if you can remember which song goes with which interval, and can transpose in your head, it could help you identify the intervals. :)

EDIT: PS -- It looks like they left out an interval-- the tri-tone. ;)
EDIT #2 -- As well as the minor and major 7ths.

Reaction score
Good luck with it Fred. I well remember the trauma of doing AMEB (Australian Music Examination Board) exams when learning piano as a kid. I decided that formal study was no longer for me when they had me singing intervals at my already incredibly intimidating Grade 5 exam. Singing - not for this little black duck, or those who have to listen to him! I passed, and promptly consigned my formal music education to the dustbin...

Ask a Question