I need a cheap small synth or sound module. Ideas?

Reaction score
Yeah I've been looking at the MicroKorg, the Alesis Micron, the Novation Xiosynth, and the Korg MicroX. My initial thoughts/ comments for each are as follows:

MicroKorg:
I have tried one briefly. I don't like the baby-size keys, and this gets more flak on the web than the Micron. I don't think I want this one.

Alesis Micron:
I found one in a local music store, and tried it out twice. Got some really cool lead sounds out of it, I was having a lot of fun. I appreciate the 3 octaves, but realise that it's possibly too big to carry around... I hear it's a bitch to progam presets, but I'm willing to sacrifice something.

Novation Xiosynth:
Haven't seen one ever. I found a couple of demos of it on youtube, which demonstrated to me that this baby has some awesome lead tones. I like how it's cheaper and smaller than the others... but I would have to invest in a USB/MIDI cable to be able to use my MIDI controller. On that subject, I fear that because this thing was designed to be used as a MIDI controller as well as a basic synth, it doesn't have the array of tonal possibilities/ presets that the others do.

Korg MicroX
Tried one out for a bit. It sounds pretty good. Pitch-bender wasn't exactly suited to my sort of playing, I preferred the Micron's. I hear it uses the "same engine as the Korg Triton"!
Bit pricey for what I can afford though.

So yeah! Please give me some advice anyone who has ever played one of these, or preferrably owned one, or even better, extensively tested/ owned more than one... or give me some suggestions for others!

Thanks for your time :):D

Ask a Question