7/8 sized keyboard

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I have a FB friend who's looking for a keyboard with 7/8 sized keys. She'd like a decent piano sound, but would be willing to deal with a MIDI sound module.

I tend to avoid anything other than full sized keys because I'm an old fuddy duddy. (Or something like that.) But from what little I know, keys come in normal and micro, not 7/8.

Is anyone aware of a keyboard that comes in 7/8 size, with either a good piano sound or a standard MIDI output?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you're looking for weighted hammer action I think you're out of luck, but I seem to recall some synth action keyboards with slightly narrower keys than standard.

Off the top of my head I can't remember which but they were either made by Roland, Korg or Casio on certain synth models.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually on further thought I think it was the Casio WK-6600 that had the skinnier keys.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
"IF" it is the WK-6600, then it would apply to the entire CTK/WK-6XXX/7XXX model lines, as they all use the same keybed components. CTK models are 61 keys and WK models are 76. Sorry! I would measure for you, but I no longer own any of those models. None of them ever impressed me as having narrower keys than any other keyboard I have ever owned.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Unfortunately I no longer own any Casio keyaboards either.

Even so, it would be easy enough to go a Best Buy and measure for oneself if it's all that crucial to your friend.

As I recall, the keys on that board were a hair slimmer than all my other boards.

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I know my Tyros has skinnier keys, but you can only tell when you stack it with another keyboard.

Thanks for the suggestion; I'll forward it on.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't think the Casio CTK and WK models have narrower keys. I had a CTK-710 and it had normal-sized keys-- I actually measured them one night, along with the keys on my Yamaha models and on my father's upright piano. The Casio's keys were the same width as the piano's, whereas the Yamahas' keys were a bit narrower-- not 7/8, though.

Ask a Question