A80 Midi Keyboard Controller (No Volume or Signal in ProTools)

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just purchased a used A-80 Roland Midi Keyboard Controller and I am using ProTools 12 as my recording software.

I am unable to hear any notes, or see the signal/recording level in ProTools 12.

I have checked my midi cable connections, my I/O set up, and my playback engine set up as well.

However, there could be a discrepancy between any of these items.

If anyone can assist me in any way, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Cathy W.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
USB connection or real MIDI to USB/MIDI interface?

Is your interface recognized in Device Manager?

Is MIDI IN connector Connected to MIDI OUT port and vice versa or do you have them reversed.

MIDI IN always connects to MIDI OUT because MIDI is a daisychained protocol.

Is the interface recognized in Pro Tools and do you have it assigned to a VST?

Check these items out first and if it's still not working then get back to us.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Hi, Cathy!

Just to be clear-- since you say you're "unable to hear any notes, or see the signal/recording level"-- are you trying to use the A-80 with an audio track or a MIDI track?

Are you aware that MIDI keyboard controllers such as the A-80 don't generate any sounds by themselves?

Are you using it with an external sound module, and the output from this sound module is what you're unable to hear or see in Pro Tools?

Or are you using it with virtual instruments inside Pro Tools, and you're unable to get the virtual instruments to respond to it?

Reaction score
USB connection or real MIDI to USB/MIDI interface?

Is your interface recognized in Device Manager?

Is MIDI IN connector Connected to MIDI OUT port and vice versa or do you have them reversed.

MIDI IN always connects to MIDI OUT because MIDI is a daisychained protocol.

Is the interface recognized in Pro Tools and do you have it assigned to a VST?

Check these items out first and if it's still not working then get back to us.

Gary ;)

Hi Gary,

I will upload 3 screen shots to help in my answers to your questions.

I think I have a real MIDI to USB/MIDI interface. Not quite sure of that one.

The MIDI OUT on the keyboard is connected to the MIDI IN on my audio interface.

The rest of the questions are displayed in the uploads, (if I can get all three uploaded in one reply).
Midi Studio SetUp Midi Ports.PNG
Midi Input Enable.PNG
InOut and VI.PNG

Reaction score
Hi, Cathy!

Just to be clear-- since you say you're "unable to hear any notes, or see the signal/recording level"-- are you trying to use the A-80 with an audio track or a MIDI track?

Are you aware that MIDI keyboard controllers such as the A-80 don't generate any sounds by themselves?

Are you using it with an external sound module, and the output from this sound module is what you're unable to hear or see in Pro Tools?

Or are you using it with virtual instruments inside Pro Tools, and you're unable to get the virtual instruments to respond to it?

Hello SeaGtGruff,

I have created an 'Instrument' track as shown by Brian Boyle on a YouTube video. Jump to 6:50 to see where he created track and inserted a VI. Here is the link for that video:

After I followed his instructions, my husband was 'troubleshooting' the keyboard, while I was manning ProTools. I saw the notes appear on the Instrument track and my husband heard the notes as he was wearing the headphones, which were plugged into the audio interface.

I tested the keyboard again, but created a MIDI track, and saw the input level, but no sound via the headphones. I might also add that the input level was extremely in the negative....so low that only a small bit of 'green' LED light to signify the level was present. A screen shot will be provided. On top of that, I did not see any notes being 'recorded' as well. I think you can also see that in the screen shot, where the track will be blank and blue.

Oh yes. I am aware that MIDI keyboard controllers such as the A-80 don't generate any sounds by themselves. Thank you though for that information.

In response to this which you wrote: "Are you using it with an external sound module, and the output from this sound module is what you're unable to hear or see in Pro Tools?"

My response is that I have no external speakers attached to my audio interface; I have a pair of headphones connected to the headphone jack on the audio interface. I am unable to hear [via my headphones] the virtual instrument I have selected on the instrument track in ProTools. As previously mentioned though, my husband did hear the notes he was playing [via the headphones], while I was able to see the notes appear on the instrument track.

In response to this which you wrote: "Or are you using it with virtual instruments inside Pro Tools, and you're unable to get the virtual instruments to respond to it?"

My response is that yes, I am using the keyboard with the virtual instruments in ProTools, and today, I am unable to get the virtual instruments to respond to it.

As a side note: my husband is unable to correctly recall the troubleshooting or commands, by which he was able to hear the notes and for me to see the notes. We had it...for a moment...but then, he must have pressed a button or something and now, we're trying to figure out what went wrong and how to get it working again. Thus, we are reaching out to some folks who have experience in midi and recording, etc.

Thank you!

Cathy

MIDI Track Input Level.PNG

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What I'm thinking is if you are using a USB Soundcard to output is that you have to configure Pro Tools to use it instead of the computer's internal soundcard. Also make certain track volume is not set to 0.

That and make certain that you have a VSTI instrument assigned to the MIDI channel you are sending on the Roland.

BTW, since you bought it used, for the time being make certain that it is assigned to Channel 1 at least for testing.

If there's a factory reset sequence in the manual use it to make certain that it is sending on MIDI Channel 1.

If all this checks out it should be making noises.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I think I just noticed one mistake you might have made.

You might have a MIDI cable AND a USB cable plugged into the A-80. The way I can tell is that the keyboard is recognized as the Roland model number as well as the MIDI interface in your dialogue box.

You either use ONE OR THE OTHER, NOT BOTH.

Using the USB cable is preferable as it will probably have less latency with virtual instruments.

Disconnect the MIDI cable and stash it in a drawer somewhere. You don't need both.

This will minimize confusion in configuring the MIDI channel and your virtual instrument.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, that's a horrible tutorial video you posted.

This one is much better quality and to the point.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, I looked at the specs of the A-80. There's no USB port so MIDI connections are correct.

You only need one cable since it is a voiceless controller so just connect MIDI OUT on the Roland to the MIDI IN on your interface.

In your Protools setup your MIDI Output should be set to the interface and your audio output should also be set to the mbox.

I've been doing some research on this turkey.

Apparently Protools will not work without an mbox2.

This is anything but a standard MIDI recording setup.

Here's a video on the Mbox2 that might help you out. The Mix Knob seems to be crucial to setting the audio output.

Otherwise, though, this thing is so weird and proprietary that I really can't help you any further.

I wish you luck and hope someone else can help you further.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I tried to give myself a crash course in Protools.

It's owned by Avid who also owns M-Audio.

I've got to say it's one of the worst DAWs I've ever seen and I've never before seen a DAW that's 100% dependent on a proprietary piece of hardware.

I'm sorry dear, but there's nothing I can say to talk you thru this and I'd advise seeking out help on Avid's own forums.

They have a dedicated Protools 12 forum there and someone either from their community or from their customer service will be far more useful than anyone here can be.

http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142

I'd suggest posting your problem there for the most expedient solution.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Wow, thanks!! There's a lot of troubleshooting items and video references here to tackle and will take me some time to sort through. I appreciate all of your time and all of the references. :)

Yes, my next step would have been to utilize another forum such as Avid, but I thought that since this particular forum was dedicated to keyboards, then it was a nice starting point.

I will check out the VSTI instrument assignment to the MIDI channel. I'll assign it to Channel 1 for ease of use.

You wrote: "In your Protools setup your MIDI Output should be set to the interface and your audio output should also be set to the mbox."
My response is that I'm a bit unclear as to the 'specifics' of the terms 'interface' and 'audio output' as I thought they were 'one and the same.' The Mbox is the interface and audio output. With that being said however, I do recognize the fact that signals must be routed to those items so I am able to hear the sounds. I'm just a bit foggy on the definitions. I hope that those items will be addressed in the videos which you provided. :)

For now, since I am pressed for time, I have provided a screen shot of the 'Playback Engine' dialog box to show you that I am using the Mbox as a sound source and not an internal computer sound card.

Thank you!

Cathy

Playback Engine.PNG

Reaction score
Hello Gary and SeaGtGruff,

Progress has been made!

I am now able to hear the sounds and see the levels and notes. :)

However, I am up against other issues such as; not all of the keys are sending midi information. This may be due to programming issues, or corrupt computer chips in the system as some of the display icons are garbled and hard to read. The keyboard was shipped via UPS, and may have encountered damage due to movement and/or heat exposure.

I'll have to check with Roland to see if there is any support for those issues, and/or find someone local to check out the technical issues.

Thank you all - for all of your help and support!

Cathy

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
We'll keep our fingers crossed that you can get the keyboard fixed without any hassles. :)

Reaction score
Hi Cathy,

Unless you've done a lot of programming and editing on your A-80, the first thing to try would be a "Factory Reset" on the keyboard. Here's the procedure for that:

(CAUTION: All USER information will be lost. Be sure to back up any information you wish to keep.)
1. While holding down the first, third and fourth buttons under the display, press CHANNEL.
2. Press any Cursor button.

If after that you still have missing keys (no midi output or sound), more than likely you have some bad key contacts inside the keyboard. There are two types of key contacts:

1. Rubber contact strips (which can be cleaned, restored, or replaced). These are fairly easy to find and are relatively cheap.
2. PCB contact strips. PCB's for older Rolands are no longer made and are getting very scarce and expensive.

Getting to the key contacts is quite a job so, you may want to find a technician to help if you need to go that route.

Hope this info helps,

Dr.G

Attachments

• Rubber Contacts.jpg
    Rubber Contacts.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 471
  • PCB.jpg
    PCB.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 479

Ask a Question