Keyboard for older people

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a suitable easy-to-learn keyboard for older people? I'm often asked by retired folk, who would like to get back into playing again, but are confused by all the bells and whistles that are on offer now. Is there something in a reputable brand that only requires a simple choice of rhythm and solo instrument and they are up and running? All they need to do is play the solo with the right hand and chords in the left.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I've done a quick search on the Yamaha PSR E373 and Korg EK 50. Both are available where I live (which coincidently is in the same city as you). I will sight the instruments and read up on the reviews. It's great not to have to start research from scratch!

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
There could be other models worth looking at.
I think @Biggles is more up to date. I feel pretty sure he will respond to this and suggest the best options.

Are you in the Eastern suburbs of Melbourne?
I have a contact, a reputable retailer who can give you a good deal. Also discount on accessories such as a stand, carry case and music books.

Let me know when you are ready.

Ray

Reaction score
Yes I live in the eastern part but I'm willing to do business anywhere in Melbourne. It depends who has the right deal.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Have a look at KC's in Boronia.
PSR E373 is on special. (Well it was last month) for about $300.00.
Mention U3A Knox (tell them you are thinking of enrolling with U3A) and you should get a discount.
They have carry case and stands for about$50 each for U3A members too.
Good Luck . . Enjoy the shopping.
R

Reaction score
I would suggest the Yamaha e473, simply because it has more bells and whistles.

IMO Yamaha does have the best piano sounds but Korg has the better overall sounds.

Do have a look at Video Tutorials on using these keyboards prior to visiting a music store.

There are other makes available namely Casio but I would not recommend them.

Downside of the Yamaha is all the menu diving that is required, the Korg is for me an easier keyboard to get going with.

Plus it depends upon if you want 61, 76 or 88 keys. 88 keys and it is a Digital Piano with arranger features Roland FP e50, Yamaha DGX 670, and a Korg XE20

Reaction score
Note that the PSR E373 has been just succeeded by the E383. I expect the same happens on the E473 in a couple years, as the E373 is a 2020 model but the E473 is a 2022 one (those dates are of availability on a well known European retailer)

All in all, the E473 gets my vote also

Reaction score
Have a look at KC's in Boronia.
PSR E373 is on special. (Well it was last month) for about $300.00.
Mention U3A Knox (tell them you are thinking of enrolling with U3A) and you should get a discount.
They have carry case and stands for about$50 each for U3A members too.
Good Luck . . Enjoy the shopping.
R
I visited KC in Boronia today, on your recommendation, and checked out the E373. I also saw the E473 but the E373 was very attractively priced to sell. That said, I'm not so sure I would buy either for myself. But this is not about me! I guess you get what you pay for but I thought the voicing was not all that special.

Reaction score
The thing is that to go from a Yamaha e Series to a Yamaha SX Series is quite a hike in price.

There is the feature limited Yamaha SX600 @ £780 which should a whole lot better than an e Series but that is just a presumption on my part.

The fact is that no Arranger, is easy to learn, all have extensive operating systems which take time an effort to learn.

This is the Get You Started video tutorial from Korg, it is one of eight short tutorials that lead in a logical manner through the basics.

This is the Yamaha version which by comparison is not as logical a progression

If someone is serious about learning they are best advised IMO to avoid the low cost keyboards and buy quality in the Korg Pa700 or Yamaha PSR SX700.

Reaction score
OK buying an Arranger keyboard is one thing but there is precious little by way of quality books to help getting started and what Apps there are, are Piano centric in their focus.

For oldies the Kenneth Baker books whilst old they have songs oldies will be well used to. This is the omnibus edition but there are five individual books in the series.

IMG_5238.jpeg

Reaction score
Just a little background (and another question). The person who recently asked my opinion has shifted into assisted living and could not take their 2 manual/pedal board organ with them. A friend of theirs has given them a Roland BK-5 so they could continue to play in a downsized way. They can play OK, chords no worry, etc, but they don't have the will to learn anything too complicated.

Now for the question!

How does learning the the Roland BK-5 compare with the Yamaha E373. Coincidently I have the Roland BK-9 and if the Roland BK-5 has the same rhythms and tones (albeit not as many) I think the sound is far better on the Roland than the small Yamaha.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Since your friend has experience, I would suggest moving up to arranger level.

You told us initially that you wanted "easy to learn" . . Is why I suggested the Yamaha E373.

He is more advanced than that, so you need to consider other options. A budget figure?

I cannot answer your question, since I have no knowledge of Roland.

Ray

Reaction score
Note that the PSR E373 has been just succeeded by the E383. I expect the same happens on the E473 in a couple years, as the E373 is a 2020 model but the E473 is a 2022 one (those dates are of availability on a well known European retailer)

All in all, the E473 gets my vote also
This is the first I have heard of the E383. Thanks for the “heads up”.

Reaction score
Cliff

I cannot answer your question simply because I have never seen any Roland Arranger, let alone tried one.

Both the BK models are over 11 years since their release, that should say something about Roland’s support for the Arranger sector.

Reaction score
If you want a piano that's also a keyboard and vice versa:

I really like my Thomann SP-5600, that's a private-labeled version of Medeli SP-4200. It has 88 full-size keys, 600 instrument sounds, a resonably good piano sound as well as keyboard and training features.

I have the wooden stand with 3 pedal unit, so to me it's like a full piano + lots of other things. It has hammer action, but not graded such, which makes it easier to play non-piano sounds.

At start and if you don't press any buttons it's a piano pure and simple. If you get lost in the settings just press Piano and it's back to just that.

There's still some concern about the age of this model. I'd expect Medeli to release a new model soon.

If you want graded hammer action then Yamaha DGX-670 or e.g. Roland FP-E50 are better choices, but at a higher price point. They also have keyboard features.

Reaction score
The BK-5 is a great choice! It's MUCH more capable than the Korg EK-50 or any of the low-priced Yamahas that were mentioned. Those boards don't even recognize common slash chords like C/E, etc. Yamaha dominates retail channels in the US, but the Casio CT-S500 is just as portable, and would be a better choice for a beginner than one of those.

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, and can't figure out how to edit my post above. But I would like to add that the Roland BK-5, BK-9, G-70, E-50, etc., all have a DIN MIDI input and provisions for triggering bass from a MIDI pedalboard like the PK-5A. So if your friend wants to continue playing bass pedals "organ style," there's no reason he can't continue to do so with one of these single-manual arrangers.
The same would be true of a Korg Pa700 or a Yamaha PSR-SX700. You have to select a model that's at least middle-of-the-range. A low-end entry level keyboard won't have this facility. My $.02.

Reaction score
I am using EK 50 and it is the best at this level in terms of sound, rhythm and few buttons to deal with. Sound is premultilayared and they are really good.

Ask a Question