Baby It's Cold Outside pulled by radio station, citing #MeToo

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46413209

It's a Christmas classic probably being played in shops and radio stations all over the world.

But a radio station in Cleveland, Ohio has decided to remove Baby It's Cold Outside from its playlist following complaints from listeners.

Local media report that listeners said the song was inappropriate and at odds with the #MeToo movement.

But a poll on the station's Facebook page showed a majority of respondents did not want the song banned.

>>>snip<<<

Ever since the politically correct idiots started butchering songs like Dire Strait's Money for Nothing people keep trying to revise the history books to bring 50 year old classics "up to date" with current viewpoints and social norms.

When are people going to start realizing that a song is just a song and has no more power than anyone is willing to give it?

Music has a long history of being controversial when it comes to social justice anthems and anti war protests.

But apparently all that people can see in this case is the ugliness of the lyric while tossing away the music with the package.

This is why my tunes don't have lyrics. :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
When my oldest (now 18 y.o.) son was a baby, he had terrible trouble with colic and night times were incredibly stressful and painful for him, and psychologically wearing on my wife and I.

I discovered that if I played Dean Martin and Nat King Cole to him it would soothe him and he was able to go to sleep. Dean Martin's version of this particular track was played to him on high rotation, along with some other wonderful tunes like "Volare" and "Cha, Cha, Cha, D'amour", to name just a couple.

I'd always interpreted the song as a playful back and forth between two people who when all's said and done are pretty keen to spend some quality time together.

If one wanted to read a manifesto of intent to harass, one would be better served checking out The Police's "Every Step You Take". And no I'm not suggesting that song should be banned either.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Agreed. How long before they pull Every Step You Take because it's a song about stalking? :p

Likewise I've always heard Baby It's Cold Outside as a playful back and forth between consenting adults.

How twisted does your mind have to be to make it an anthem about date rape?

Personally I love almost all music, but people keep trying to squeeze it to fit their own political agendas.

It's a classic case of an artist defending his constitutional rights to free expression but in this case the composer has been dead for decades and cannot speak for himself or his work.

Then again, Ohio hasn't legalized pot yet :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
On a positive note Gary,

You've now got me listening to some old Dean Martin tunes and fondly remembering my days as a new father while I'm working (and procrastinating by hanging out here).

And you know what else will happen? There'll be a whole generation of people who've never even heard of this song who will now be checking it out due to the media coverage you highlighted. I bet a lot of them will like it.

Now...back to work and "That's Amore" for me.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Banning of "Baby it's Cold Outside" is utterly ridiculous! I love that song. The words are simple and playful. The tune is swinging, joyful and melodic.

Btw . . Love the old 40's and 50's tunes and "Baby it's Cold Outside" is a favourite of mine. It is a clever song of conversation between two people . . One want's the other to stay. Nothing wrong with that. I would suggest comfort and romance is a genuine healthy desire. What is inappropriate about that?
Now @CowboyNQ . . I have always liked "Volare" and by freaky coincidence you mentioned it here. I just happened to see the sheet music for it yesterday at the salvos op shop. I bought it and now playing it. Great tune.

Didn't they want ban The Stones "Can't get no Satisfaction" because of the sexual connotations?
Nanny state mentality.

Ray

Reaction score
It does not make sense.

Artists with hardly any clothes on, gyrating on stage, self preening, should be banned, it was not like that in the sixties. ;)

Yet the USA churns out masses of TV programmes aimed at pre and pubescent kids where the content is what us oldies would consider as bad mannered, inconsiderate, selfish behaviour. Are these to be banned next (please), our Granddaughter is hooked on them and her attitude now reflects what she is watching. :rolleyes:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
our Granddaughter is hooked on them and her attitude now reflects what she is watching.

It's a vicious circle sadly however since if she was miss goodytwo shoes, her peers would vilify her. She could get depressed and suicidal even. You have to go with the flow Col and eventually it will all settle down.

Hey! What sbout this song? Did this guy have evil intentions or what? LOL:eek:

Triva: The girl singing in this song was Mrs Slocomes (anyone seen my pussy) understudy, Miss Brahms from Are You Being Served.

Ray

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The last post (about little girls) reminded me of this tune.

See if your eyes don't well up listening to this . .

Just beautiful.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Honestly a creepy old man watching a child sleep and having an inner monologue?

ick...

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's no double meaning in most modern songs, including Aqualung.

But you're right. If they're going to start censoring pervy songs then a substantial part of the musical catalogue would disappear.

Here's another one for ya.

No ambiguity in this one.

Or this one.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question