Cold RD300NX noted with problems

Reaction score
I'm playing a RD300NX that is only a few months old. I have been having issues with sluggish keys and intermittent volume loss/fluctuations. I have isolated these events to only be happening when the keyboard is cold, like in being left in the equipment trailer overnight on a chilly night, and trying to perform with it the following morning. The issues do dissipate once the piano 'warms' up to room temperature. Roland service personnel wont consider any help until I can re create the problem in front of them. Is this a known issue and is it fixable or something I have to just live with? Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Keith

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Wait until next winter. Run a long extension cord from the shop to the trailer where the keyboard is located. Bring the technician to the trailer. Close the door so that they don't freeze. (Lock the door.) Show them the problem.

Don't unlock the trailer (letting them out) until they agree that there's a problem and they'll fix it.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Hmm, that might be considered kidnapping. ;)

I know that most keyboard manuals I've seen have a note somewhere-- usually within the first few pages, or maybe in the back with the specifications-- that lists a range of recommended temperatures for the environment in which the keyboard is used. It's possible that the Roland technicians would point to said notice if it turned out that the keyboard is acting up when it's too cold, especially if the problem disappears once the keyboard has warmed up.

Reaction score
Wait until next winter. Run a long extension cord from the shop to the trailer where the keyboard is located. Bring the technician to the trailer. Close the door so that they don't freeze. (Lock the door.) Show them the problem.

Don't unlock the trailer (letting them out) until they agree that there's a problem and they'll fix it.

I really like the way you think Fred!
Definitely take that into consideration!

Reaction score
Hmm, that might be considered kidnapping. ;)

I know that most keyboard manuals I've seen have a note somewhere-- usually within the first few pages, or maybe in the back with the specifications-- that lists a range of recommended temperatures for the environment in which the keyboard is used. It's possible that the Roland technicians would point to said notice if it turned out that the keyboard is acting up when it's too cold, especially if the problem disappears once the keyboard has warmed up.

Yes, I think the magic number is 60 dungarees Frankenstein ( as my son says)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Probably dew!
We once had a vcr and cold winter days when we turned it on a "d" would light up on the display panel indicating dew was present and to wait a few minutes until it warmed up. Sure enough the "d" would turn off after awhile.

Try blowing a hair dryer on the keys and accross the operating panel before use.

Sunshine RAY ;)

Reaction score
Is there any reason anyone can think of that would cause only about 8-9 notes across the keyboard to be a good 7-8 dBs louder than those around it? This makes a performance quite a treacherous trek. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. And it does this intermittently with different notes and with a warm keyboard.

Ask a Question