Best height for 1st and 2nd tier

Reaction score
What's the ideal height for a digital piano on the first tier ?
I've read contradicting stories on the net. A Steinway Grand is supposed to be 71,5 cm (28.14 inches) from the ground to the top of the white keys. Other sites claim the height is 75 cm (29.5 inches), but can vary from 70 to 76 cm (27.5 to 29.9 inches).
Standard stool/bench height is supposed to be 19.5 inches (50 cm).

What about the second tier ? Seems like a useful discussion.
Who plays his keyboard like you would a piano, or are you more the standing up type ? :p

Reaction score
I stand up at rehearsal and gigs, but sit down to practice.

I think whatever is comfortable for you should be the way you go. How tall or short the player is makes a difference too.

As I’ve gotten older I find I need the keyboards a little higher when standing than I used to, otherwise it’s too fatiguing on my wrists and back.

Reaction score
Whatever you're comfortable with. If I'm 6'10" and you're 5'2" where the keybed is going to be lined up to your body, waist, chest, etc. will be different than it is for me. Also you can setup the keybed to an exact measurement but using a piano bench vs a drum throne to sit could throw off that relationship as well. So whatever you feel comfortable with when you're playing is the correct height. Don't oversimplify the process ;)

Reaction score
I used to have a Yamaha acoustic upright piano when I was studying music. Never wondered then what was the right height of the keys, but I assume it must have been similar to a Grand or Baby Grand.
My synths, I use to play standing up, but I was still young then ;)

In any case, I was just trying to compare to those days. Now with the Spider Pro, I’ve measured the height from the floor to the top of the white keys and that’s 80 cm, so a bit higher than what a normal piano would be. The second tier is as low as I can put it, keeping it from obscuring the buttons, knobs and user interface of the keyboard on the bottom tier.
And the way it is now, I’m having a hard time imagining someone managing installing a third tier to put either music sheets, a laptop or an iPad without almost completely obscuring the second tier with the Spider Pro. Guess I’m going to have to take some time to find the perfect position.

Still, interesting to learn how all of you play music...

Reaction score
First I adjusted the stool that I have for a comfortable seating position .

Then I lowered my first tier until my forearms were level and the keys were comfortable to play.

Then I lowered my second tier as much as possible whilst still being able to see the screen and buttons of the lower keyboard.

So it all ends up being comfortable to play.

I am to old to play any of my musical instruments standing up.

Ask a Question