Better Midi Voices.

Reaction score
Hi all I have just purchased a KN 5000 and when I come to editing the voices on a Midi File I only get about half a dozen guitars to choose from. I am sure keyboards I have had in the past gives me more GM voices to choose from. Is it possible to improve on the half dozen I have with the KN5000

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi all I have just purchased a KN 5000 and when I come to editing the voices on a Midi File I only get about half a dozen guitars to choose from. I am sure keyboards I have had in the past gives me more GM voices to choose from. Is it possible to improve on the half dozen I have with the KN5000
The complete list of original GM sounds can be found at https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/gm-level-1-sound-set

Yamaha introduced an enhanced version called XG, and Roland introduced an enhanced version called GS.

GM was then updated to GM2 which basically built on those enhancements, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI_Level_2

I don't know about Technics keyboards, but as a rule, older keyboards were not typically designed to have new sound sets loaded into them. However, you should be able to use the keyboard to play sounds using an enhanced GM sound set located externally, e.g. in a VST in your computer, or using an external sound module.

Reaction score
Hi
more guitar voices in the KN5000
Make your own voices , just use the sound edit function and save them in the internal memory A and B (20 in every memory)
The KN5000 has everthing you need to act as a workstation in combination with a DAW or external soundmachine.
(like anotherscott explained)
When loading a midifile the kn 5000 goes automatic to the GM settings
When GM mid is on sound and operation which can be selected are limited !!!!
good luck and stay safe.

Ask a Question