Black key to white technique

Reaction score
I'm trying to play the bass line to the main theme of Dream Theater's "Erotomania" , which part of it is going up chromatics in 8th notes. I'm quite new to playing keyboard and I think this is probably a bad habit, but I've been sliding my finger from a black key to the white key to the right, which is the note I need to play. I've not seen others do it, so how do I stop doing this and how do i fix it?

Reaction score
The correct technique is taught to you when you take piano lessons. My piano teacher taught me technique 45 years ago. The books used back then were John W. Schaumm which I'm sure no longer are published. I would look at purchasing books that teach the proper techniques in the chromatics area.

Reaction score
I'm a piano teacher as well as a keyboardist in a gigging cover band. The typical fingering for chromatic scales is:
1 (thumb) on a white key
3 (middle finger) on the next black key
1 again on the next white key
and then use your finger 2 (pointer finger) if you have two white keys in a row (E to F or B to C)

Look at this website: http://www.pianoscales.org/chromatic.html

Best way to break a bad habit is to play it absolutely correctly, very slowly, gradually increasing your tempo. If you make a mistake, slow down again to play it correctly.

Ask a Question