"Black" Synthesis

Reaction score
As a general rule, I try to avoid racial discussions. I mean, race has to be one of the least intelligent ways to separate humans into groups, should you want to separate humans into groups.

But then you look at synthesis...creating new, fresh tones with synthesizers in order to tell a song's story creatively, one has to admit that the Black end of the spectrum has used these instruments in decidedly different ways .

Read More

bernie-worrell-moog-parliament-funkadelic1.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
While there's no doubt that African and African American musicians have made HUUUGE contributions to music in the past two centuries, to be fair, not every style has been a winner in everyone's eyes. Personally I have little to no use for gangstah rap and for me that's a musical dead end, but modern hip hop has managed to smooth out the edges a bit by incorporating the street poetry of rap along with the mellifluous tones of urban soul and jazz and modern day house and rave and drums and bass music.

Still, when I close my eyes, I don't see color. Instead I hear and feel a beat and human emotions brought on by associative memories.

As for associating a separate genre with "black" synthesis? I don't see or hear it that way. The Moog synth and its imitators are simply just another instrument. A vehicle allowing yet another dimension to expression of the keyboard art.

I mean EVERYone uses synths these days, from Herbie Hancock to Stevie Wonder to little known jazz greats from every corner of the globe.

I think it's a huge disservice to attempt to co-opt a particular style of music to a particular racial group and say that "Those people can't play the same sh*t as well as WE can."

Again music has no color. Its enjoyment is universal among people of all ages and socioeconomic groups and even has effects on parts of the animal kingdom.

It speaks to our souls and our reptilian hindbrains in ways we still don't fully understand.

Music is the great unifier of mankind, not the differentiator ;)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Old thread but I just must :)
I am a racist but not by the common definition associating with hate or supremacy. Given that, I tell you to check out the story of Appalachian music, youtube or elsewhere. Blacks, Cherokees and Whites all got together in Appalachia and created awesome music and a fascinating history to go with it. Sadly there is a lot of it lost to the green misty hills forever. And yes, I did intend the sound of a lonesome wooden flute in that line.

Ask a Question