Black Keys on M08 reinstallation

Reaction score
I've just followed a video on how to remove keys on my M08, but I can't find out how to reinstall the black keys. The white keys seem easy enough and pop right back in, but I can't find anything on the black keys. This is the video I watched

I tried to put them back, but they're still loose and can slide from front to back. I also tried allowing them to stay loose and then installing the white keys over top of them and that didn't stabilize them. If anyone can give me some hints on how to put the black keys back in properly, I'd greatly appreciate it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you didn't remove all the keys then you still have some black keys that are properly seated, hopefully at the end of the board.

Remove a couple of white keys from the end and look inside at the black keys to see how they are secured. Use a flashlight and take a few snapshots with a camera just to aid your memory and so you can study enlarged images. Depress the keys a few times and take pictures in both positions.

Hopefully you'll be able to see where they snap in.

Here's a video on disassembling a Fatar keyboard. Different mechanism but it may help give you an idea. 88 key boards are usually hammer action so there is an additional mechanism besides the weights and springs for achieving a proper piano feel.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
If you didn't remove all the keys then you still have some black keys that are properly seated, hopefully at the end of the board.

Remove a couple of white keys from the end and look inside at the black keys to see how they are secured. Use a flashlight and take a few snapshots with a camera just to aid your memory and so you can study enlarged images. Depress the keys a few times and take pictures in both positions.

Hopefully you'll be able to see where they snap in.

Here's a video on disassembling a Fatar keyboard. Different mechanism but it may help give you an idea. 88 key boards are usually hammer action so there is an additional mechanism besides the weights and springs for achieving a proper piano feel.

Gary ;)

Thanks Gary,

Unfortunately part of the problem is that when I removed the white keys, the black keys beside them automatically popped out as well. So, I can't see how a black key is properly seated up close. I appreciate your advice though. Thanks for your time.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Take a compatible pair of black and white keys and slide them together to see if there's a flange or recess that interlocks.

Also take some photos of the empty spaces they fit in and see if you can locate any mating flanges that might snap into place.

The problem is that this is a very old design and doesn't seem to conform to more modern keyboard layouts.

If you can't figure this out you may have to bring it in to an experienced Yamaha technician to reassemble for you.

You might also want to ask about this over on http://motifator.com/

For sure someone over there has experienced this already.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Take a compatible pair of black and white keys and slide them together to see if there's a flange or recess that interlocks.

Also take some photos of the empty spaces they fit in and see if you can locate any mating flanges that might snap into place.

The problem is that this is a very old design and doesn't seem to conform to more modern keyboard layouts.

If you can't figure this out you may have to bring it in to an experienced Yamaha technician to reassemble for you.

You might also want to ask about this over on http://motifator.com/

For sure someone over there has experienced this already.

Gary ;)

Hey man. I find the solution. I just needed to work with the black keys a little more to get them in place. The black keys actually don't click into the slots like the white keys do. I had to just place them in properly. I angled it so that the bottom half of the black keys were in the white translucent parts first then lowered the top half in to secure it in the top knob. No clicks. It just worked.

As a side note I had to pay close attention to the white keys since they weren't being lowered in properly as well. It takes a lot of tries to do it exactly right to where there's no sliding give. This video helped with that.

Thanks Gary!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm glad it worked out for you.

Sometimes you have to think of mechanical assembly and disassembly as a 3D puzzle.

Usually there's only one way it will all fit.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question