Budged synthesizer?

Reaction score
I'd like to buy a synthesizer next to my yamaha dgx 630. Mainly to have a second set of (non weighted) keys and to be able to create some cool sounds (I'll probably use it for rock/pop).

So can you advise me a good budged starter synthesizer that isn't antique . Bear in mind that I'm only 16 so I can't pay 600 euro's for it or anything (might buy it second handed if I can find a nice one ).

So please give me some ideas :D

Reaction score
I'd like to buy a synthesizer next to my yamaha dgx 630. Mainly to have a second set of (non weighted) keys and to be able to create some cool sounds (I'll probably use it for rock/pop).

So can you advise me a good budged starter synthesizer that isn't antique . Bear in mind that I'm only 16 so I can't pay 600 euro's for it or anything (might buy it second handed if I can find a nice one ).

So please give me some ideas :D

Roland SH201. Excellent starter synth.

Reaction score
Juno-D's not really a synth, but a sample based machine with the ability to alter some parameter (cutoff, attack, resonance).

Great sounds in there, but not quite a synth.

Reaction score
Some people on a different forum advised me a Alesis Fusion 6HD. Does anyone know if it's any good?

Reaction score
I'm probably gonna get a used synth from www.marktplaats.nl (don't think you know it, it's kinda like ebay). Anyway there is a Yamaha EX5 and a Korg TR for sale that seem pretty nice. The yamaha EX5 is quite abit cheaper (more then 200 euros) then the TR.
Is there anyone that has played one of them (or both) and can tell me which is a better deal?

I'm trying to get as much information as possible beforehand, thanks for all the replies so far! :)

Reaction score
The TR isn't really a synth in the sense that you're making sounds from scratch using preset waveforms. (Technically, the TR and most other keyboards use an actual synth engine under the covers, only instead of using basic waveforms like triangle and sine, they use prerecorded audio waveforms). While most keyboards of this type do let you edit the underlying sounds, the focus is more on using the preset sounds than on working with oscillators and envelopes to design all your sounds. Part of the confusion is that some keyboard manufacturers (Roland is notorious for this) call a lot of their workstation keyboards synths, so there's really two ideas of what a synth is.

The TR series is a pretty good instrument. The action isn't great (although I haven't really tried the 88-key version, which is hammer action), but it's got a good set of sounds and is quite usable. It's weaker on the acoustic piano sound than other keyboards, so hopefully your existing Yamaha is better in that regard, but when it comes to synth sounds and strings, Korg is generally the better manufacturer.

Reaction score
My yamaha stage piano has great piano sounds so that's no bother.
I'll mostly be using the synth for the other sounds like hammonds.
So I really prefer non weighted keys for this one :) ( playing organ sounds on my yamaha is a pain :p)

It being a workstation seems nice too, I never had a workstation but it seems really practical (since I compose regularly).

But I'm the EX5 is cheaper, and if it's also better in most things then I might go for that one :)

Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I might be buying a EX5 from someone (for 400 euros). Since it's not brand new I wanna make sure I buy one that's working perfectly. So what might break easy and is important to check to see if it's working all right.

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]One of it's "corners" had been damaged a bit (as you can see on the picture).
I'd like to know how worrying this is, is it easy to fix or is it a reason not to buy it?
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hope you will share some of your wisdom
smile.gif
[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Reaction score
i have an yamaha ex7 - the 61 key version of the ex5 - still does the job after 10 years! the synth sounds are amazing and all are entirely tweakable. its pretty weak on its piano though - although the stereo piano isnt too bad.

there are loads and loads of patches for the ex5/7 now - though id recommend trying to get some flash memory for it..

Ask a Question