Cheap-ish multi channel midi controller wanted.

Reaction score
Is there such a thing? I’m trying to control some of the parts in my MODX. The midi channels cant be changed in the MODX, so i need a master keyboard that transmits on more than one channel.

Not looking for weighted, Synth action is fine, and 49 keys is ok, but 61 notes max. Its just for some brass and lead stuff. I want to control everything from the MODX so i don’t need performance controls as such. I do have a Korg N5 that will work, but i would prefer something lighter.
I guess price wise I’m looking at £100-200.
Thanks for any recommendations.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I agree with Biggles that Scott gave you what is likely your best option in the other thread.

If you plan on controlling everything from the MODX as far as things like the patch parameters, the Samson Carbon 49 probably does everything you need.

However, for about $100 more-- still below $200-- you can get the Samson Graphite 49, which has a lot of nice sliders and knobs that you probably aren't looking for (and wouldn't need to use if you don't want to), but the real attraction is that for the additional $100 you also get aftertouch. You could still control all of your patch parameters from your MODX, but if you're going to be playing brass and leads then aftertouch might be really nice to have.

Reaction score
Sorry, i dont know why there are two threads. I wasnt aware of a reply in the other though, i thought it was a reference to a post on FB.
Yes, the Samson’s look good. I really like the Carbon, especially the ipad holder, but as it doesn’t seem to do multi channels the Graphite seems better suited. Agreed, after touch for brass will be very handy. I can make use of the pads as well, as i quite often have to play the cowbell in some songs.
Ill keep looking over Christmas but i don’t think ill find better, especially at that price (£121 off amazon).

Reaction score
Right, the Carbon only transmits on 1 channel at a time, whereas the Graphite can transmit on up to 4 channels at a time, which as you alluded to in your OP, makes it much more flexible as a controller for the MODX (i.e. it can play 4 MODX parts at a time instead of only 1 at a time in the typical configuration).

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
To be honest, I thought your comment about not looking for another way of doing things might have been in relation to the included software that's bundled with the Samson controllers, but I wasn't sure.

As far as the channels, I'm guessing that even if the less-expensive model can't transmit on multiple channels at once, it probably does let you choose which channel to transmit on, and you might be able to set up different "programs" in its memory that can be recalled as needed, with each program using a specified channel. But I'm not familiar with either model, nor have I looked at their manuals or specs, so I'm mainly going by what I know of other brands of MIDI controllers.

But the model with aftertouch, which can definitely transmit on up to four channels at once, would certainly be the better investment.

Reaction score
Cheers guys.
Yes, it has to be multiple and not just variable. I have an old Roland one that is easy enough to change channels, and works well as a controller, but i need multiple parts triggered on the MODX.

On the MODX each part is assigned a fixed channel number. Part 1 = ch1, part 2 = ch2 etc. Some of the brass and strings are up to 4 parts (2 will be fine though). Although the MODX will play multiple parts from one input channel, i have to have keyboard control turned on, and therefor the MODX keyboard will also trigger them. At the moment I’m using splits on the MODX which work fine, but the idea is to use a second keyboard and have the full range of notes on the keyboard for each sound. With brass i wont use much more than a couple of octaves so 49 is fine. 37 is a pushing it a bit though. 61 would be ok, I’d probably use it more for the main sounds maybe, but i know the Graphite doesn’t come in 61.

The FB comment was because i had asked on there, and some had mentioned using my ipad and software to do this, and i wasnt sure if that was what Biggles was talking about, as I hadn’t seen Scots post.

Ask a Question