Cheapest simplest sequencer?

jhg

Reaction score
I am looking for a sequencer that operates with midi out, and can be connected to speakers. I don't need drum pads, dont need controllers, dont even need sounds, I just need the sequencer ability, one that allows me to do the 16th unit thing to play live at home. Budget: preferable under 20$, can go to 50$

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
"to play live at home"... Is there any reason why you need a hardware sequencer? If you're going to be playing at home (for recording?), are you currently able to interface your MIDI instruments with your computer?

jhg

Reaction score
I do have a computer, its just that I really want something that can arpeggiate, sequence and loop that isnt a computer, because my setup is very limited.
of course I can wait, which is a cheaper and better option, until i find a way to use my computer more, because If i use a computer i dont need any hardware except my axiom.

I guess I should just wait then, and forget about the controller.

Thank you

jhg

Reaction score
I should probably delete this thread, I didn't think about what I currently have, I don't even know the limits to my current hardware and what im looking for is what i already have in the form of a computer

very sorry about the inconvenience

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Your original question wasn't stupid or silly at all, because some people do need/want MIDI hardware sequencers that they can use on stage with other MIDI equipment. When I read your question, I actually thought you already had a MIDI hardware sound module or instrument that you wanted to connect a sequencer to, so I didn't think there was anything odd about your question; I must have missed the part where you mentioned connecting the sequencer to speakers, or else I missed the implications.

If you don't mind using your computer to do the sequencing, you can generally use just about any DAW for that. It's difficult to make a blanket statement about this, because some DAWs have a "built-in" arpeggiator effect available, while others don't but might let you use a third-party plugin for that. Some DAWs-- especially the free "lite" versions of certain commercial DAWs-- don't let you use any third-party plugins, or may limit you to specific types of plugins (VST, VST2, VST3, AU, etc.), so you need to look at your particular DAW's built-in features as well as its restrictions about third-party plugins.

Ask a Question