Cheese!

Reaction score
I know this might be a bit of a weird one but I'm in a weird mood and thought I'd ask all of you
good people about one of my favourite foods. Cheese! I probably love it more than our resident rodent!
So before I tell you what my favourite one is, how about you tell me about yours? Recipes that you use it on are also very welcome.
I've heard that in China, they consider cheese to be just bad milk. I truly beg to differ!
I'm also not sure just how true that is but I've never seen Chinese cheese so who knows.
Having traveled around Europe for three years I did get to taste a fair bit and I do have to admit that some were better than others. But none that I wouldn't eat again!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Having been raised in a European household I always keep a large selection of cheeses in my deli drawer.

One of my favorite snacks is to take a frozen croissant, slice it in half and fill it with Camembert or Brie and then bake in a convection oven for ten minutes. The ultimate grilled cheese sandwich.

Then there is mozzarella which I keep for when I make pizzas. Other toppings include hot Italian sausage, bacon, pepperoni, mushrooms, green peppers and a sprinkling of giardinera for heat.

Of course pasta is not edible unless I grate a block of parmesean over it.

Likewise a souvlaki is not a souvlaki without a nicely toasted pita bread and a healthy chunk of feta.

Then others for simple sandwiches and subs include swiss, tilsit, gouda, good old fashioned cheddar and of course the humble Kraft slices for cheeseburgers.

Then again I probably don't stock all of these at once since eating too much dairy can lead to kidney stones which at my age with my family history are an all too real possibility.

But my fridge always has a stock of at least 4 or 5 of these which, when consumed in moderation makes for nicely varied diet. :D

Now if meat just wasn't so bloody expensive these days :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Cheese now we are talking.

Chedder, Lancashire, Wensleydale, Shropshire Blue, Red Leicester, Stilton to name but a few of the hundredswe have.

Chedder is the King of cheese, full stop, no competition.

We have one called Stinking Bishop, its so strong it walks over the plate and it can be smelt in the next County.

My own favourite is a Blue cheese called Blacksticks Blue and it is made about 5 miles from where I live, it is like a sweeter Stilton.

Absolute worst cheeses are Edam, and Gouda which are tasteless and waxy.

Reaction score
It's made of 'roo milk!
Last night while sitting in me comfy chair, sipping on a new whisky I decided I needed a nibble. So I went to the fridge and got me some Castello Danish Blue to put on some crackers. That's what go me wondering what cheeses you all enjoy. I haven't had it in a while but I like a Canadian one called Laancaster. Yes, that is the correct spelling. Unfortunately it's not as good as it was a few years ago. They're not aging it as long as they used to. I'm also quite fond of a Dutch cheese called Beamster. I prefer the softer one.

@ Gary. Just in case you didn't know, meat is actually free! You can find it walking around pretty much anywhere. I know this from the Dalmer Cookbook.:confused:

My wife and I occasionally and usually on a Sunday have something we call a Dippy Dinner. It's our take on a charcuterie board. We usually have a small variety of cheeses, hard sausages sliced, hummus and a couple of other dips. Some French stick, made shrimp and seafood sauce. We pair this with a nice bottle of usually a full bodied red wine.
This afternoon we're going to see Bohemian Rhapsody at the cinema! Looking forward.

Reaction score
Well now I'm hungry :D

Weirdly I used to hate cheese. When I left home I decided that I wanted to like it, so I started trying it on a regular basis until I developed a taste for it. Nowadays I love it! I mostly prefer mature hard cheese, I'm not keen on blue cheese although I keep trying it to see if I develop a taste for it too.

Ian loves cheese too, but in the past few years he found out that he's allergic to fungus - meaning that matured cheeses are a no-go for him. He seems ok with relatively fresh cheeses, but he loves really old smelly ones. Shame they don't love him!

Hope you enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody @Jeremykeys! :)

Reaction score
Well now I'm hungry :D

Weirdly I used to hate cheese. When I left home I decided that I wanted to like it, so I started trying it on a regular basis until I developed a taste for it. Nowadays I love it! I mostly prefer mature hard cheese, I'm not keen on blue cheese although I keep trying it to see if I develop a taste for it too.

Ian loves cheese too, but in the past few years he found out that he's allergic to fungus - meaning that matured cheeses are a no-go for him. He seems ok with relatively fresh cheeses, but he loves really old smelly ones. Shame they don't love him!

Hope you enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody @Jeremykeys! :)

Becky

Try the blue cheeses from Blacksticks, they are not as strong as Stilton and have a creamier taste.

They also do great blue cheeses from goats and sheep milk.

Sainsburys and Booths stock them, start off with the one labelled Blacksticks Blue

Reaction score
Becky

Try the blue cheeses from Blacksticks, they are not as strong as Stilton and have a creamier taste.

They also do great blue cheeses from goats and sheep milk.

Sainsburys and Booths stock them, start off with the one labelled Blacksticks Blue

I've tried Blacksticks Blue, although it was a while ago so I should probably try it again sometime. I once had some Saint Agur that I enjoyed, although I had had quite a lot of red wine at the time...

It would be ironic if I start liking blue cheese now that Ian can't eat it! :rolleyes: :D

Reaction score
Wow, making me crave cheese now, My Only cheese intake is when I have a slice of american cheese on my ham sandwich....
So for a non cheesy guy which is the best to start out with? I see a lot in the local market in the cheese area but, haven't the slightest idea what I'm looking at.

Reaction score
Wow, making me crave cheese now, My Only cheese intake is when I have a slice of american cheese on my ham sandwich....
So for a non cheesy guy which is the best to start out with? I see a lot in the local market in the cheese area but, haven't the slightest idea what I'm looking at.

I think something like cheddar is a good place to start, with a bit of pickle :) Yum!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gianni65

Latest Threads