Crest of a Knave.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
According to the article...

Anderson did use drum programming instead of drummer Doane Perry on two tracks, “Steel Monkey” and “Raising Steam.”

So Budapest was performed with a live drummer, which seriously means most people really cannot distinguish the difference by ear alone.

Plus, if I were to acquire a drummer I'd have to feed it and teach it how to use the toilet :p

Gary :D :D :D

Reaction score
So Budapest was performed with a live drummer,
According to the album credits the drummer was Jerry Conway. It sounds very artificial to me because the snare is so drowned in reverb you can't hear the natural variation in tone you'd get from a live drummer - particularly back in the 80's before looping was a thing. So I was happy to assume Ray was correct, being that he's a Tull tragic!

Edit: On a re-listen - the whole kit is up to its bottom lip in 'verb, not just the snare, which is what stood out to me at first listen.

Not the greatest drum sound from a production point of view. However ironically the drums on the album that Crest of a Knave beat out for the Grammy (And Justice for All) sound even worse. That is an album full of really great songs that were murdered in production!

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Very perceptive Gary picking the discrepancies. Reading between the lines of the article of which I posted!
And Paul, thanks for being honest, supportive and encouraging.

You are both absolutely right.

Conway did drumming on a few of the tunes on the album including Budapest. Conway was Tull's official drummer (for a short period) until 1987. He was replaced by Doane Perry later on. Perry played drums on a couple of songs on that album too.
The credits on the album also say that "Jethro Tull is Ian Anderson, Martin Barre and David Pegg. "
Just 3 Bods! No keyboardist! No Drummer!
Anderson played keyboard on that album. The band was in disarray at this stage. No drummer and no keyboardist.
It is not a favourite Tull period for me and sound overall of CoaK is erratic with periods of brilliance and periods of ordinary.
As Paul says . .
That is an album full of really great songs that were murdered in production!
3 tracks out of 9 were made with drum programme. Not a good sign!
Certainly not worthy of a Grammy!

Ray

Reaction score
I am miffed!

Been checking regularly on the Jethro Tull website for concerts and whilst I have been laid up I have not been doing so and what has happened?

Ian Anderson’s Christmas Concerts in three Cathedrals have been released and Wells, Wakefield and Ripon are all now Sold Out.

Damn, well next year we shall try again.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
JT Still popular it seems!
Keep trying Col.

Ray

"Everyday I see the mornin' come on in the same old way. I tell myself, tomorrow brings me things I would not dream today!" IA

Reaction score
Nice to see Tull fans here. I had figured Rayblewit would be one (Pied Piper), wasn't sure about Biggles since the character is also known outside of Tull. Although our focus these days is our own stuff, my band also does a lot of Tull covers (in fact, we've played a bunch of Tull conventions). If you've got a request, maybe I can post a video. ;-)

Back to the topic at hand, Gerry Conway was the drummer for the Broad Sword album, but that one also included some drum machine... at least "Watching Me, Watching You" so that was probably their first use of drum machine on an album. After that, Ian Anderson's solo album "Walk Into Light" is entirely drum machine (and a phenomenal album, IMO), as was the subsequent Tull album "Under Wraps" but that one had an entirely different drum sound from WIL, one that I think embraced its artificialness rather than trying to hide it. It's a more abrasive sound that took me longer to get used to. Still not one of my favorite albums, but it's got a bunch of stuff on it I quite like. The funny thing is, when Crest of a Knave came out, my first reaction was being glad they had moved away from the heavy electronic sound, but over time, I found I actually went back and listened to Under Wraps more often than Crest! I wasn't really grabbed by another Tull album until Roots to Branches, though every album has its moments.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Awesone reply @anotherscott .
I really appreciate your comments and understanding of JT.

btw . Biggles gets mention in TaaB.
This short snippet has him at 2:40

Btw . . I would thoroughly recommended to all keyboadists here to have a listen to the whole lot of TaaB. John Evan on (keys) was the forgotten hero. Totally awesome.
Even better, the subsequent albun A Passion Play . Do yourselves a favour and have a listen.

Have a good easter everyone.

Ray

"Where the hell was Biggles when you needed him last saturday?" IA.

"And if you think Ray blew it, there wad nothing to it. They patched him up as good as new." IA.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matiSon

Latest Threads