Editing Songs created on DGX 66X series

Reaction score
I am interested in gaining the experience of editing files that I created on my DGX 660. I have done a bit of experimentation. Doesn seem straight forward. For example:

I downloaded a midi file from the keyboard and loaded it into a DAW (Waveform 12 Pro). First thing I noticed is sysex files. I'm thinking these are Yamaha data files containing info such as voices, volumes, etc. I no idea how, if there is a way, to edit data within that file. I have learned that in order to hear it in the DAW I have to assign instruments. So while each track is named based on the instrument, I have to assign instruments from the DAW. So, I'm not sure it is possible to have the same instruments used once transported back into the DGX. I did render a midi from the loaded file, having edidted nothing, It did seem to use the right instruments, but I think the volumes were at set to a same volume.

Another quick thing I tried: Loaded the midi into Musescore, and didn't see any sysex files. Then exprted it (again, editing), and loaded it in the DGX. There was no way that I saw to identify what instrument would play in what track (whereas the song was track based in the DAW). So, instruments were split up over the tracks, volume was all screwed up.

So, my question is: Does anyone out there do any editing of midi files outside of the instrument? What do you use? And is there any materials to help learn the process?

I have browsed the help file, and done a little work in the DAW, but was a deeper task than I could tackle, and moved on for the time being.

Ask a Question