EQ Settings on Behringer KDX12 Keyboard Amp

Reaction score
Hey guys, got a good one for you. I just purchased a Behringer keyboard amp with a 7 band EQ.
I have a Yamaha CP-300 that I'm using with the amp. MY QUESTION IS:
Can anybody out there help me with the EQ settings for the best piano sound that I can achieve.
I know everybody's ear is different but it seems the more I adjust the EQ the worse I get and then I get frustrated go back to flat and start over. Also it's hard to do these adjustments by yourself.
The CP-300 also has an on board EQ which just confuses things even more. I have read that this amp really focuses on the mids which really affects the tone of your keyboard sounds.
I've been playing keyboards for years but all,these EQs are getting to me. Used to just have 3 knobs,
Bass, Treble, and Midrange and that was it.
ANY HELP in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In Advance
Tim C

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
This is like asking to copy the Mona Lisa in Braille. Can't be done.

If you don't trust your ears to adjust to a proper EQ then I'd advise renting, stealing, begging, borrowing or buying a spectrum analyzer and a reference mic to adjust to a proper curve.

Otherwise you're just going to have to trust your ears or the ears of someone accessible whom you know and trust.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I object to the Yugo comparison for Behringer amps. :p

Offhand I'd rather consider a fair comparison to be Cadillac vs Hyundai.

ie. Overpriced, overrated and bloated vs economical, functional and underrated.

Behringer makes some very decent amps priced for affordability compared to some of the bigger names out there.

And as far as quality and sound goes, audio amplification has pretty much been a cut and dried science ever since the 80's.

Just because it's affordable DOESN'T make it garbage. :eek:

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I object to the Yugo comparison for Behringer amps. :p

Offhand I'd rather consider a fair comparison to be Cadillac vs Hyundai.

ie. Overpriced, overrated and bloated vs economical, functional and underrated.

Behringer makes some very decent amps priced for affordability compared to some of the bigger names out there.

And as far as quality and sound goes, audio amplification has pretty much been a cut and dried science ever since the 80's.

Just because it's affordable DOESN'T make it garbage. :eek:

Gary ;)
Yeah thanks Gary. I love the amp. It is very good quality for the price. I use a Radial DI Box and this amp will crank it out and clean. I was just wanting some advice on setting the EQ for piano with somebody out there that maybe uses a CP-300 or something similar.
Thanks for the replies.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My advice is don't trust your ears. Pick up a $50 Spectrum Analyzer and a good quality cardioid mic and map out your space for a balanced EQ throughout the room. That's how the pros handle it.

And yes I own a Behringer K450FX, the little brother of the KDX12 and I use it for practices with great success. Nice clean sound, 100 DSP effects, and a much better deal for the money than some of the more "famous" amps out there. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Try the EV and you'll understand what I'm talking about. And the amp I'm talking about is the same price as the underperforming Behringer. I also use to use keyboard amps and ditched them for the better sounding performance monitors. More power, cleaner sound (clarity) and lighter. The keyboard amp, in comparison, sounds as though someone put a blanket over the cabinet.

But hey, what do I know.....

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I use a decent sounding set of monitors and a subwoofer in my bedroom stiudio and a Behringer K450FX in the living room with a Roland Juno DS61 for on the fly musical notes and practice sessions.

Frankly I have ZERO complaints about the sound in either setting.

But hey, what do I know?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
hi what i have to add to this is; what is the piano sound [ as you quote your main interest is aucoustic piano] you actuarly want ? no amount of spectrum analizing etc will be of any help, [ if it doesnt give YOU the actual sound YOU actuarly want to hear ] every one posting here, is being refered , to have one [ i believe] "flat/nuetral" sound , what if like ME, -- that is not the piano sound YOU actuarly prefer. listening to commersial music there are dozans [ not flat ] of diferant piano tones youy can choose from,-- YOU like a bright + deep bottom end [ ie with scooped mid ] ie I personaly rearly dont like the tone of a standered acoustic piano, sounds too middly/muddy for MY ears, I much much prefer a briter sound with the bass depth on the bottom keys with all those treble harmonics on it. so what YOU have to decide is what of the dozens of piano sounds that youYOU actuarly like which may not be neccerary be a normal accoustic piano sound, but an eq'd version, if like ME YOU wish a brighter sound the best way to acheive it is not by just boosting the hi gain but by cutting the low mid, ie 400 hz - 500 hz and adding a smallish amount of bass boost. would anyone reading this with the same opinion as me/also not likeing a traditional accoustic piano sound please let me know, note, most of the stuff recorded by my [ and hope yours too] hero rick wakeman , he just about allways uses a rarther briter piano sound then a rearl accoustic one. to add regarding keyboard amps if like most modern keyboards there is eq built in then use/save settings then use that and leave all amp settings flat, only use amp eq if there is none on your keyboard. and amp wise i would heartly recomend the roland KC550/KC350 i have 2 of the former and 1 of the latter, great amps, and though beringer do, do some good budget gear first keyboard amp i bought from them blew up during its first gig ! sent it back and got the rolands,very good buy. well thats my opinion any way. cheers

Ask a Question