First Keyboard: Yamaha PSR-E433 or NP-V60

Reaction score
I'm learning to play and was wondering which would be a better fit. I understand the two I have listed are a little different - one with 61 keys, the other with 76 keys. I think I like the sound better on the NP-V60 and was wondering if the price difference is worth it. Also, do they both have the accompanying beats/songs where you can play along with the music? Any suggestions - pros and cons of each - would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
The V60 is based more on piano and the PSR is based more on synth and digital sounds. If you want to learn piano, go for the V60 with more keys and a nicer feeling action.

One thing to note is that the V60 is exactly the same programming as the YPG-235 just with a little more memory. The YPG is less expensive, just a little bigger. Also the YPG has better sounding internal speakers since they are bigger and round. The keys are the same. I almost got the YPG-235 but ended up going with a weighted key digital piano (a used Casio Privia PX330). I think it is the best value as it gives you real piano action, the accompaniment, a nice arrangement of decent sounds, and a bit more flexibility.

Weighted keys, like what the Privia has, help you develop strength to play a real piano. Even playing a weighted key digital piano I find I am lacking the strength needed on the pianos they have at the conservatory (Steinways, they have stiff keybeds). Once you play a weighted key piano, the others (under $500) will feel like toys.

Reaction score
In my opinion, the PSR E433 is much better. I tried both the E433 and the NP V 80 (the big brother of the 60) in a music shop and ended buying the E433. The E433 is only one year new, the NP V 60 and 80 are already several years old. To my ears, the accompaniments and voices sound better on the E433, it is also lighter to carry around. The E433 has more sounds and styles than the NP V 60 and 80.
If you really need 76 keys, buy the NP V80. It is better than it's little brother 60 and has more styles, more voices, more features.
The musical genre you want to play is also a criterium of choice. If you are into modern dance music and DJing, go for the E433, it has very nice live playing features like filter controlling etc. If you are in jazz or cocktail piano and easy listening, go for the NP V 80, it has nice piano styles, as well as more acoustic and electric piano voices than both the NP V60 and the E433. It also has a very nice Tenor Sax and Clarinet voice, which might interest you if you want to play some jazz.
If you are a complete beginner and don't know what to choose, go together with a more experienced keyboard player to a music shop near you and try both keyboards for as long as you can or as the shop dealer will allow. If you and your friend agree on which keyboard to buy, this will be a sign that your choice is correct.

Hope this helps,

Vinciane.

P.S.: I have my PSR E433 since the month of May and I am very happy with it, it is a great first electronic keyboard for all players I think.

Ask a Question