First one

Reaction score
Hi, well, im in a rock band (a real one, not the game) and im intersted in buying a keyboard, im new in this things so i can't distingue between synths samplers and such things.

I want something not too profesional, but that has good qualitie and that could be used in my rock band.

I've thinking in some Casio CTK or something like that, what coul u guys recommend me??

Thanks

PD. Im writting from Mexico, so, i apologize for any mistakes in my english.

Reaction score
No no no... stay away from Casios, PSR series and all arrangers (arrangers being keyboards with styles on board).

If you play in a full band you want a workstation - that way you're able to customize
sounds any way you like.

There are lots of workstations out there, so you'll have to specify the price range you're going for.

Reaction score
I thinks something that would work well for you may be a yamaha MM6. there great for what your trying to do and there not too expensive.

Reaction score
Well, for that price anyone would be far better off with the Korg X50.

a) it's a real workstation
b) you can layer/split/velocity-switch up to 8 programs
c) you have full sound editing options
d) basically, it's identical to the Korg TR apart from not having a sampling option and a sequencer

none of that on the MM6.

My opinion is that the MM6 is the biggest mistake Yamaha made.
It's not an arranger, and it's not a workstation - it lacks features from both.
It's just some silly hybrid people buy cause they think they're getting Motif sounds

Reaction score
the mm6 can layer and split and is velocity sensitive, and it can have 8 precets, you can completely edit the sounds and it is just as much of a workstation as the x50, the problem i have with the x50 is that they break constantly. ive never had a problem with any yamaha keyboard.

Reaction score
You can layer 2 sounds.
You can split them at a predefind point and you can only determen that single split point.
It has 8 memory slots per bank, not 8 programs (sounds) in a combination - it has only 2 :)

It is NOT velocity switched it has velocity sensitive KEYS.

Velocity switching means the keyboard plays one sound when you press the keys lightly, and switches to another when you hit the keys harder.
And I'm not talking about different layers of the same sample. I'm talking about totally different sounds.

For example - you have mellow strings/pads while you play light, and once you hit the keys harder you get horns and half of the orchestra kicking in.

There is no way you can layer 2+ sounds on the MM6.

You can't have strings+bass on the left, Piano and a pad on the middle part, and lets say a synth lead at the top of the keyboard.

And there is no such thing as a combi mode on the MM6 (performance mode on the Motif series).

You can save the 2 sound split/layer and the style preferences - that's all there's to it. (same as the PSR series)

Oh, and... tweaking reverb and pitch is not sound editing :)

Try removing all the effects and selecting ROM samples in the Oscilators...
Yup - can't do that either :)

It is true that the x50 is very compact and light... which makes it more fragile then other keyboards... but i doubt
it can brake if handled corectly

Reaction score
ok my bad on the velocity switched i read it wrong, my bad. but as far as the x50 is conceded i actually don't know a single person with one that still works.

Reaction score
Poor Joe - he wanted some simple answers and the narrative took off into geek-land.

We need a few pages on the distinctions among synth, arranger workstation, etcetc...

Lee De Cola

Reaction score
a nice beginner's guide

Skipp, thanks for the document - cleared up a few things for me...now i have to decide among the arrangers that will replace my 30 year old Yamaha DSR 2000. I bought and returned FIVE 'boards before discovering that all i needed was Band-in-a-Box!

Lee.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Limeydog

Latest Threads