Floor Model Nord Electro 3...Should I buy?

Reaction score
Should I buy a floor model electro 3 (73 key) for $1975 or a new Electro 3 (61 key) for about the same?

What are cons of the floor model?

What happens if it's on all day in the music store? Does that shorten it's life?

Thanks!!!

Kwyn

Reaction score
well i can't really say if it's bad for it to be left on all day, but it can't be a good thing to have a bunch of different people with their hands all over it for a extended period of time. that would have to cause a little wear and tear. let's face it there is nothing like brand new out of the box, unless you were getting a really " steal it" price (your not @ 1975) i would stick w/ new. by the way i got my brand new electro 3 73 w/ the very cool nord soft case and a keyboard stand for 1900. paid no sales tax and free shipping. check e bay stores. i did a "make offer" deal and they took it.

you wil love the electro 3 it's a great axe! good luck.....

Reaction score
I have two Roland Fantom G 8 boards that I bought as "Floor Models" I would do it again in a heartbeat.

If the board is in good shape and works properly, no biggy.

The fact that it is a floor model should get something knocked off the price too.

Running these all day every day really does not hurt them. They are not like a car with moving "wearing parts"

If the board works right after this long "Burn in" it likely a good one.

The one area to look at carefully is the action of the keys.
Check to make sure all the keys move as they should with no "lazy ones" This would indicate abuse during the boards stay on the floor.

If the shop will not cut the price on the floor model more than a few $$$ though, get a new one.

What sort of price difference between floor model and new ???

Snowy

Reaction score
In comparison to the beatings my keyboards take at gigs, sitting on a shop floor for a few months is no biggie.

Reaction score
Gigging can be tough on machinery as well as people.

Trying to pack up all the equipment and keep it in good shape can be problematic.

The only thing that can be tough on floor models is Small children that are not being controlled, and come along and beat on the keys and tweek knobs and sliders like they are shifters on an old tractor.

The run time just sitting idle is certainly not a worry.

I watched a youngster (maybe 6-7 yo) just whailing on the keys of a KB in the store and his parents did not even give it a second glance.

This said, I have seen some serious abuse done to these things by the owners when playing gigs too. Some of the on stage antics can be a bit over the top.

If the boards are placed in a hard carry case thats padded well, there is usually not too much issue.

My biggest fear is of someone wandering into my studio with a cup of coffee or a can of soda and spilling it on the board.

I have a rule (for whatever thats worth) NO drinks near the boards PERIOD.

Other places in the room are no biggy, but NO drinks right at the boards.

Now if your gigging and need to have a drink close for those hot times, one just has to be careful.

This is why many folks invest in the NO BS anything goes warranty coverage that will fix the board if someone does make a BOO BOO and spill on it or whatever.

Snowy

Reaction score
You haven't said how important 73 keys are to you. I've bought several 61 note boards, and I just can't do it anymore. I need at least 73, preferably 88. I've also realized I don't like unweighted action either!

With the 4d coming out, I can't help but think that in the next 6 months there's going to be some killer deals on the E3. Personally I don't have a problem with a floor model if it seems in good shape- but that doesn't sound like that great of deal.

Reaction score
All things being equal I'd buy the floor model 73 keys before the new 61 key (assuming the 73 key has the same warranty). I purchased my PC3 as B-stock and haven't had any issues. Many years ago I purchased an Ensoniq VFX as a floor model; never had an issue with that either.

Ask a Question