Getting bass and treble clef output to scoring program

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Yamaha DGX-630 which I Ethernet into my Windows 7 computer and into Print Music Finale 2010/

It's great to score as I noodle around but unfortunately everything gets scored in the treble clef, sometimes 10 lines below it!

Is there any way to set up the DGX output so that it differentiates between bass and treble. The Print Music forum has no answer.

Thank you for your consideration.

Valdavidian

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I suspect that the problem has to do with the MIDI channel, because the software is probably displaying all of the notes from a given MIDI channel on a single staff.

You might be able to adjust the score in the software, such as by adding a bass clef staff, copying the notes from the treble cleff staff and pasting them in the bass clef staff, and then deleting any notes from each staff that you don't want, such that the notes are split between the two staffs the way you want them.

But if you want to split the notes up automatically, you might be able to do that by turning on your keyboard's Split function so the right-hand keys will be transmitted on one channel (probably channel 1) but the left-hand keys will be transmitted on another channel (probably channel 3). You'll probably want to set the left-hand voice to be the same as the right-hand voice, so it sounds like you're using one voice across the entire width of the keyboard. You'll probably also want to move the Split Point to somewhere near Middle C. Another option might be to put the Split Point around F# below Middle C and raise the Octave setting on the left-hand voice to +1, so that you can play a few keys below Middle C with your right hand yet have them go to the treble clef staff, and play a few notes above Middle C with your left hand yet have them go to the bass clef staff, although that would mean having to play the keys an octave lower than usual with your left hand to compensate for the raised octave.

Of course, you would also need to set up the software so that the right-hand notes on channel 1 or whatever are displayed on the treble clef staff, while the left-hand notes on channel 3 or whatever are displayed on the bass clef staff. I have the free version of Finale NotePad, so I'll look at it later to see if that's doable and what the steps are.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Fred Coulter is our resident expert (or at least close enough) on scoring programs and unfortunately he is indisposed for the next week or two as he has departed on holidays.

My advice is to hold tight until you hear it from the horse's mouth :)

I am almost certain that Finale can transcribe a score into any clef known to music though exactly how I couldn't say. You may want to study some youtube tutorials for the software to gain the knowledge which you seek.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks SeaGruff (Michael) and Happyrat1 (Gary),

It is not in my nature to wait so while I will look forward to Fred's return I will try Michael's suggestion of applying the split.

Best regards

Greg

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Andrey, I tried the Split option and got mixed results. Then I realized that it doesn't seem to matter what the channel is set to on either staff-- it seemed like all you need to do is click with your mouse on the staff you want to add notes to (so the note cursor is displayed on that staff) and the keys you play will go to that staff, be it treble clef or bass clef. But that still doesn't let you add notes to both staves by playing with both hands at the same time. I was going to try adding two separate parts (as opposed to one Piano part with a grand staff) to see if that would work, using different channels for each part, but I got sidetracked with other things and forgot to go back to it! :oops:

Reaction score
Thanks SeaGtGruff,

Now that I have messed up the MIDI ettings I can't get any notes recorded "live" on any clef. Got any suggestions on how to get back to basics?

Thanks

Andrey

Reaction score
Sam CA,

Thanks for the link but I believe it is for a newer version of Finale Print Music because I don't have an "options" button on my Hyperscribe menu; only: Recording Tempo and Click, Record Mode, and Tie Across Bar Lines.

Is Ken Coulter Back?

Thanks

Andrey

Ask a Question