Hello everyone, I've just joined and excited to learn from you all.

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I'm a 71 year old from Welling, South London, UK, and since the age of 10 have enjoyed playing guitar (most styles). I have now purchased a Korg PA300 arranger which has changed my life ! I hardly pick up the guitar anymore (which saddens my wife because she liked the Shadows stuff I played).

I absolutely LOVE learning to play this keyboard. Its like having a full orchestra or a simple pop band at my fingertips, and allows me to improvise, change tempo, styles, anything I want to any tune. Often totally reinventing a well known tune giving it a fresh, new vibe. I also enjoy making 'backing tracks' for my guitar playing.

I have played on and off in bands over the years while holding down a job and family life. I still work as a 'Self Defence' instructor for the Police and TA, as well as run a large Martial Art school, but whenever I get the chance I indulge myself by disappearing to my home recording studio at the bottom of the garden for some 'me' time. I still jam with friends and do the odd gig, it help keeps me young !

I'm really hoping to learn a lot from this forum, and maybe have a little input as well. If anyone wants to talk Korg PA300 I've learnt a lot of 'tricks' on it and am willing to help (and learn).

Thanks for having me.
Regards
John

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Welcome John.
Many of us here are in senior years like yourself so you will fit in nicely.
Looking forward to your imput. With decades of musical experience under your belt, I am sure you will be most welcome by everyone here.
The KORG PA300 has many users here too so you should have some positive feedback.
Cheers
Ray (from Aus)

Reaction score
Welcome from up norf.

I to play the Shads on my guitar but arthrytis is making it difficult hence I to am getting into keyboards.

Good choice you made in the PA300.

I have a couple of Korgs but like Roland as well and the dream is a Nord.

If you are not aware of it Korg have a Youtube Channel, their tutorials on various features of each of their keyboards are labelled as Video Manual but you probably are well past what the vids have to offer.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Howdee-diddly-dang-doo John. :)

By TA I presume you meant Transit Authority?

You've gotta be careful with acronyms on the interweb since the audience is international and in another country TA might stand for Terrorist Army :D

Anyway, like Ray said, we geezers are legion here on the boards and you're not the first to abandon a guitar for the siren song of a keyboard.

Out of curiosity what styles of music appeal to you and what do you usually play?

Feel free to ask questions and be prepared to answer a few.

This forum is a collaborative effort and we all contribute in our own ways.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome, John!

In your picture it looks like you have two keyboards; what's the second one?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score

You've gotta be careful with acronyms on the interweb since the audience is international and in another country TA might stand for Terrorist Army :D

Haha . . That's very true Gary!

In USA . . Trump Aggressors

In UK . . Tossers Abolished

In Canada . . Trudeau Activists

In Germany . . Terrible Accordion players.

In Aus . . TwoUp Anyone?

Ray:D

Reaction score
Welcome from up norf.

I to play the Shads on my guitar but arthrytis is making it difficult hence I to am getting into keyboards.

If you are not aware of it Korg have a Youtube Channel, their tutorials on various features of each of their keyboards are labelled as Video Manual but you probably are well past what the vids have to offer.

In Aus . . TwoUp Anyone?

Howdee-diddly-dang-doo John. :)

Anyway, like Ray said, we geezers are legion here on the boards and you're not the first to abandon a guitar for the siren song of a keyboard.

Out of curiosity what styles of music appeal to you and what do you usually play?

Feel free to ask questions and be prepared to answer a few.

This forum is a collaborative effort and we all contribute in our own ways.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Welcome John.
Many of us here are in senior years like yourself so you will fit in nicely.
Looking forward to your imput. With decades of musical experience under your belt, I am sure you will be most welcome by everyone here.
The KORG PA300 has many users here too so you should have some positive feedback.
Cheers
Ray (from Aus)
Thank you Ray....

Reaction score
Welcome from up norf.

In Aus . . TwoUp Anyone?

Welcome, John!

In your picture it looks like you have two keyboards; what's the second one?
PSR-295. It's a bit beaten up now, originally purchased by my daughter who gave it to me when I showed an interest in buying a keyboard. It certainly opened a new creative world for me, and sold me on the idea of getting something decent. It's now used for the grandchildren to 'hammer' on which leaves my Korg 'out of bounds' !
I sympathise with you regarding your arthritis. Although (gratefully) I don't suffer with that, one of the reasons I'm learning the keyboard is because my left hand aches after a few tunes, specially if using a lot of bar chords.
Regards JE

Ask a Question