Hello everyone.

Reaction score
Just thought I would drop in and see how this place is and hopefully be able to chime in on certain topics.

My name is Bob and started playing keyboards in 1986. I am a self taught keyboardist that played by ear for the first few years. Then in High School, I took a keyboard / piano class. I learned all about chords and learned to read sheet music, but did not absorb too much music theory. At the time I was playing on little Yamaha PSS models and saved up my money to buy a Casio CZ101. From that point on (1992), I was loving it and I was sounding pretty good. This was a great time to be into keyboards with such an excellent line-up available like the Roland D-50, Korg M1, the Korg T series, the Yamaha SY series, Kawai K4, Ensoniq SQ and EPS series. Great memories.

Fast forward to today, Im still playing, but looking for a new synth. Learning on the great instruments I mentioned above, makes me lean to one of those manufacturers, but I really like the sound of the Nords. I currently use a Kurzweil RG 200 digital piano and a Roland Juno 106. I have done small gigs like weddings and parties, but mostly play for my own self indulgence.

My biggest influences are; Pink Floyd, Billy Joel, David Foster, Michael McDonald, and Donald Fagen

The Y_man

Reaction score
Well I guess the fact that Ensoniq aren't around (as such) and Kawai don't do synths any more (I think), I guess that will cut down the choices for you.... a tiny bit :)

I still own a Juno 106 and ESQ-1..... but they're broken :(

The Y-man

Reaction score
Thanks for the link Goldi. It looks like a great machine.

YeahDolt, I did a few weddings solo. Some traditional wedding music and a couple of obscure things. One that I did, they wanted me to play the piano part in "Right Now" by Van Halen as they exited the hall. Another wedding I did, was entirely made up of music from the soundtrack to "Titanic". I enjoyed that actually.

I used to like playing solo, but for the last decade or so, my goal has been to play keyboards/piano in somebody's band. I just cannot seem to find other musicians with the same music interests.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forums :) Sounds like you have some good experience behind you, great to have you here.

Ask a Question