Hi all

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can buy a good keyboard that does not have Synthesizers, effects etc.? Just looking for a piano type keyboard nothing else. Thank you
Phil

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome, Phil!

Yes, you can buy a digital piano, which is usually different than a digital arranger.

A digital arranger will normally have a wide variety of instrument sounds, from piano and organ to orchestral and electronic, and will have a wide variety of auto accompaniments that you can play along to, like a sort of one-man band. The auto accompaniments are why these keyboards are called "arrangers," because you can create arrangements of songs with them using their auto accompaniments, but the wide range of different instrument sounds is another characteristic feature.

A digital piano, on the other hand, will normally have a better-quality keybed with piano-style keys, and rather than trying to provide a smorgasboard of sounds it will normally have fewer sounds, typically acoustic piano, electric piano, harpsichord, organ, acoustic guitar, bass, and strings (violin, etc.). The exact number and variety of sounds can differ by brand and model, but the sounds are usually of a higher quality than the ones you'd get with an arranger-- that is, quality is generally emphasized over quantity. The keyboard will also typically have more keys than a typical arranger does-- 76 or 88, as opposed to 61 or 76.

Reaction score
Welcome.

If you can advise your budget and in which Country you live we can provide more specific keyboard models for you to checkout further.

Reaction score
Welcome, Phil!

Yes, you can buy a digital piano, which is usually different than a digital arranger.

A digital arranger will normally have a wide variety of instrument sounds, from piano and organ to orchestral and electronic, and will have a wide variety of auto accompaniments that you can play along to, like a sort of one-man band. The auto accompaniments are why these keyboards are called "arrangers," because you can create arrangements of songs with them using their auto accompaniments, but the wide range of different instrument sounds is another characteristic feature.

A digital piano, on the other hand, will normally have a better-quality keybed with piano-style keys, and rather than trying to provide a smorgasboard of sounds it will normally have fewer sounds, typically acoustic piano, electric piano, harpsichord, organ, acoustic guitar, bass, and strings (violin, etc.). The exact number and variety of sounds can differ by brand and model, but the sounds are usually of a higher quality than the ones you'd get with an arranger-- that is, quality is generally emphasized over quantity. The keyboard will also typically have more keys than a typical arranger does-- 76 or 88, as opposed to 61 or 76.
Thank you for the response

Reaction score
Welcome.

If you can advise your budget and in which Country you live we can provide more specific keyboard models for you to checkout further.
Sure, looking for my grandkids so under 500.00 and I live in the US

Reaction score
Digital pianos typically have 88 keys and a limited inclusion of instrument sounds.

Ie 4 acoustic pianos, 4 electronic pianos, 4 organs, 4 strings plus a few others would be typical.

c$600
Casio S1000
Yamaha P121, this version has 73 keys

C$650
Yamaha P125 (as per P121 but with 88 keys)

Sub $500
Casio CDP S150 @ $380
Yamaha P45 @ $450

If you do want Arranger features then:-

Yamaha PSR E463 @ $300
Casio CT X5000 @ $450
Casio CT X3000 @ $300

These have 61 keys, velocity sensitive and not the hammer type action that a digital piano has.

Reaction score
BTW

The prices I quoted is from the Sweetwater website

Being in the UK I have limited knowledge of USA based Music Stores.

I would suggest that you search your local areas for Music Stores and pay them a visit if you feel Covid safe doing so.

The Sales staff would probably be keen on the business and may offer sweetner additions like free online lessons etc.

Talking of free lessons the Yamaha and Casio models do tend to have free time limited online lessons available via Apps for certaiin models.

ie
Yamaha includes 3 months access to Flowkey
Casio includes Chordana

Reaction score
In the race to the end of this year, Sweetwater and Guitar Center are offering discounts that will disappear in early 2021. So if you plan to buy, now is a good time. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matiSon

Latest Threads