How to choose between Yamaha PSR-E473 and Casio CT-S500

MVF

Reaction score
Any help would be appreciated! I started out debating between the Casio CT-X700 and the Yamaha PSR-E373 and then they came out with these two - now I have a headache!

I am a former trumpet player (quit due to neck problems) and current bass player looking to get into keyboards mainly for fun and to me learn music better

Reaction score
Welcome, I can understand your headache.

Up to this price point there are rather a lot to choose from but most at the lower end are easily discounted.

As a musician it depends upon what features you want in a keyboard, both are arranger style which is play a chord with left hand and melody line with right and you have a full band playing or you can play without full backing with drum and bass patterns.

The Casio was only released in mid January as a brand new model and not many users will have hands on with it, there is just the reviews.

Conversely the 473 is an upgrade iteration of their top of the range beginner keyboard.

Casio AIX sounds are pretty good but it is subjective, I found the menu system on their x5000 and S3000 models to be very confusing so do check it out thorougly on the S500.

The Yamaha menu if it is like earlier models can also be confusing and the manuals are not the most user friendly.

Right here is where I say, consider neither until you check out a Korg EK50.

If it helps I would lean Korg, Yamaha and Casio in that order.

if you are not interested in arranger or rytham backings and want a keyboard for band use then the Roland Juno DS or Korg Kross 2 or Yamaha MX are the ones to consider, again in that order.

Finally if you want to blow the budget and get an arranger which is vastly superior then there are the Korg Pa700 and Yamaha SX700 keyboards both are well worth the cash and imo long term they would be a better buy.

MVF

Reaction score
Yikes! Those were great recommendations, but out of my price range. Still hoping for views on these keyboards, but thanks for the suggestions.

Reaction score
You do get what you pay for, well sort of.

A Fender Jazz Bass can cost from £700 - £2200+ depending upon where it was made and the construction so an arranger keyboard for £1000 is arguably a lot more versatile even if it pains me to say that being an ex guitarist and bass player myself.

MVF

Reaction score
I could see how they are worth the price, but I'm just starting out. My first good bass was a Fender MIM P I got for $300 - looked like new and came with a case! Is there much of a used market for this type and class of keyboard? Are they usually safe to buy?

Reaction score
There is a pretty large market for these keyboards but it depends upon which Country you live in as to how and where to buy. Many are bought, used a little then put in store and eventually sold off, and it is how they are stored than can affect the condition of the electronics and keybed, dust, temperature and humidity all affect the workings.

Just looking on eBay, Craigs List and other selling websites can yield results, the downside is you take a risk if it has to be shipped and shipping costs can be expensive, its a large box weighing over 20lbs.

The Yamaha model 400 series is updated roughly every three years and it is the middle number that changes so you can get an idea of age from that.

There are 61 key models but Yamaha also have their EW range which are very similar but with 76 keys so do look out for these as well.

Reaction score
Yikes! Those were great recommendations, but out of my price range. Still hoping for views on these keyboards, but thanks for the suggestions.

Korg EK50 too? Modestly priced at Thomann.

I went the other way, still on a budget, and opted for 88 weighted keys (I want to learn the piano) and bought the Thomann SK-5600 (= Medeli SP4200 / Kurzweil KA-120 etc), with the wood stand with 3 pedals. It also has arranger and training features. By now not the most modern design and UI, but it frames itself nicely within that specific format/features/price range, and with the piano-like stand it actually looks good, from a "guests visiting" perspective, especially as 88 keys makes it rather imposing. It can of course also be used separately as a stage piano e.g. with an "X" stand that I also have, preferably when standing up. Casio CDP-S360/S350 is kind of similar and probably better (haven't tested though).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Stay away from the E373 - unless you just plan to play in a tiny bedroom. 2 1/2W speakers do not cut it.

Reaction score
Used decent keyboard - If you're thrifty you might find a used Casio CTK-6000 at ebay or craigslist for say $100 - it beats the newer Casio CT-X3000, and even the X5000. I've owned all 3 of these - and own the Korg EK50 now. It is a decent keyboard, but the pianos are lacking.

Reaction score
Any help would be appreciated! I started out debating between the Casio CT-X700 and the Yamaha PSR-E373 and then they came out with these two - now I have a headache!

I am a former trumpet player (quit due to neck problems) and current bass player looking to get into keyboards mainly for fun and to me learn music better

Welcome MVF. I guess I can add a little something. I bought a Casio Previa PX-160 new to practice when my acoustic piano would be disruptive to my wife. It has worked really well for my original intent. Later, with my father isolated at a retirement home due to the pandemic, we decided to work on a duet "remotely." I was going to record both parts, send them to my father to practice with on his Yamaha. It turns out Casio has a proprietary file format for recording that cannot be shared with any other product lines. I was able to successfully connect it to my Mac with a USB cable and do what I wanted with GarageBand, but the limited file compatibility was annoying to encounter and something Casio's literature fails to mention. Otherwise, I find my Casio a really good value (it was the entry level 88-key keyboard). As the others have said, depends on how you plan to use it, and if you expect to grow to take on more complex uses.

MVF

Reaction score
Thank you all for the tips and advice! I looked at Thomann's and what a difference! They have the EK50 for $309 which is less than the E473 - most other places are selling it for around $650 (and the E473 for $369)! That's such a big difference that it kind of makes me nervous, but I will definitely look into it more now.

I also appreciate the tip on older Casios, and know what you mean - I have an old CTK-601 and the feature set is pretty amazing considering I bought it so long ago - reconditioned for $60!

Thanks also for the tip on the Casio file format, definitely good to know!

I guess I'll do some more homework on the EK50 now that I know it's in my price range, and then make a decision. I was leaning toward the E473, but still hoping to see one in a store first.

Reaction score
MVF, I'm an old dude that has been playing keyboards for 60 years having owned keyboards from Sears, Lowrey, Farfissa, Panther to a Hammond C-3 which I still own. Here's my recommendations, if you want an inexpensive keyboard, look for a used Casio 1630 or 3100. I think there's a Casio 3000 for sale on ebay for $279.00 dollars. As a musician, I purchased the Casio 1630 from BJ's Store for $300.00 dollars some 20 years ago and the 3100 about 10 years ago. There are enough rhythms and tones that will keep you busy for a long time. I just purchased a used Roland G70 last year and I've put 80 songs on cds since November of 2021. I purchased the Casios( as a hammond owner too embarrassed to let my friends and fellow musicians know I own Cassios} so I wouldn't disturb my family with the Hammond. I wish they had the technology that's in the Casio keyboard back in the 60's when I played in bands. I recorded at Capital Studios in 1965 and my Casio sounds 1000 time better than the Farfissa I played then. One last thing, both Casio keyboard I mentioned are 76 keys. The Korg E50 has 61 keys. I'm not sure if they make a 76 key model.

Last edited:
Reaction score
MVF, I'm an old dude that has been playing keyboards for 60 years having owned keyboards from Sears, Lowrey, Farfissa, Panther to a Hammond C-3 which I still own. Here's my recommendations, if you want an inexpensive keyboard, look for a used Casio 1630 or 3100. I think there's a Casio 3000 for sale on ebay for $279.00 dollars. As a musician, I purchased the Casio 1630 from BJ's Store for $300.00 dollars some 20 years ago and the 3100 about 10 years ago. There are enough rhythms and tones that will keep you busy for a long time. I just purchased a used Roland G70 last year and I've put 80 songs on cds since November of 2021. I purchased the Casios( as a hammond owner too embarrassed to let my friends and fellow musicians know I own Cassios} so I wouldn't disturb my family with the Hammond. I wish they had the technology that's in the Casio keyboard back in the 60's when I played in bands. I recorded at Capital Studios in 1965 and my Casio sounds 1000 time better than the Farfissa I played then.
I own a Cassio 1630 a WK3000 and a WK3500 .. along with a orig. DX7 a Yamaha s670 Yamaha E463 and Korg Kross ..the Cassio's i have had about 14 years and still play awesome i love the sound on the cassio's you can make some good music on them ...

Reaction score
Welcome MVF. I guess I can add a little something. I bought a Casio Previa PX-160 new to practice when my acoustic piano would be disruptive to my wife. It has worked really well for my original intent. Later, with my father isolated at a retirement home due to the pandemic, we decided to work on a duet "remotely." I was going to record both parts, send them to my father to practice with on his Yamaha. It turns out Casio has a proprietary file format for recording that cannot be shared with any other product lines. I was able to successfully connect it to my Mac with a USB cable and do what I wanted with GarageBand, but the limited file compatibility was annoying to encounter and something Casio's literature fails to mention. Otherwise, I find my Casio a really good value (it was the entry level 88-key keyboard). As the others have said, depends on how you plan to use it, and if you expect to grow to take on more complex uses.
Hi Greg, My granddaughter lives in another State. I had my Casio 3100 plugged into a Zoom 1608 that had a cd burner in it ( I know that's considered old school now) but it enabled me to send her a song she wanted to sing with me. Fortunately she visited me a couple of months later so we could record it. By sending her the song's music recorded by me helped establish a vocal key she could sing in. I know that not entirely what you were trying to do but I thought I would suggest it.

Reaction score
I own a Cassio 1630 a WK3000 and a WK3500 .. along with a orig. DX7 a Yamaha s670 Yamaha E463 and Korg Kross ..the Cassio's i have had about 14 years and still play awesome i love the sound on the cassio's you can make some good music on them ...
I agree Mark. You can't beat those Casio keyboards for beginners or seasoned musicians for the sound and money.

Reaction score
Word of warning on Thomann.

Do check the actual price you will pay, if you are not in the EU their prices do not show Taxes plus you may well have import duty to pay.

I nearly fell foul of their policy know that the UK is not part of the EU.

Reaction score
Does b3maniac stand for Hammond B3 owner, just curious.
Yes, that it is reference to the Hammond B3. I've also owned other early combo organs, and Hammond clones and modules. For years after I sold my last B3 I tried quite number of various "clones" and leslie simulators. At one point my ex-wife told me I had developed a "mania" about replacing my B3. Ergo the name "B3Maniac" in the forum. My favorite clone to play is my Korg CX3 (2nd Gen) running out to a Neo Ventilator (leslie sim) and stereo amp. (PS I'm 70 years old and started playing band keys with a Farfisa Fast 5.) Don

Last edited:

Ask a Question