Need a small inexpensive 61key keyboard or piano. Which to choose?

Reaction score
I am 29 years old. I need a small inexpensive 61key keyboard or piano to learn on. I should mention that I had an 88 keyboard and got rid of it because of space. Than't's why I need a 61 key. Which to choose?

Yamaha psr-363, prs-453, piaggero np12.

Reaction score
It depends upon whether you want to play a Piano or a Keyboard.

See my post in your which books post.

The Yamaha prs 453 will be a better keyboard to get you going as it will be more versatile.

Whilst the Yamaha will surfice there are others available which would give you far more expansion potential than the 453. Other options are the Korg PA300, Roland BK3, Roland Juno DS61, Yamaha EW400, Casio ctk7200.

Do go to your music store and have them show you the options for a keyboard, they should price match anything you find online (Amazon etc)

Reaction score
I vote for psr-453. Plenty of functions for beginners to learn keyboard, and fairly affordable.

Np12 is like a digital piano. May have weighted keys.....

Reaction score
Roland Go:piano or Go:Keys ?

Which one, depends if you want to learn piano (you generate every note) or "arranger keyboard" (the instruments generates fill-in harmony).

. . . What music do you want to play?

. charles

Reaction score
The roland go piano looks like a piano cut in half. It doesn't look right in my opinion. And you get less for the money with it. I don't know what is best between a keyboard or a piano. Which is the easiest. I think for my needs it's better with a keyboard as it offers much more fun and it have the display which helps to learn notes. What I'm concerned about are the keyboard sounds. Do they sound real on the psr 363 and the 453?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had a play on a GoKeys a couple of weeks ago in Manchester, I would class it as a high end childrens starter unit. It sounded OK but only OK.

The Yamahas sound far better, but do check the functions and specifications of the 363 and 453, you should see that the 453 is worth the extra cost and is likely to be more future proof for you.

I get to listen to someone playing a 453 every couple of weeks and it sounds pretty good, not in the same league as a Korg 600 that someelse plays and way less than my own Korg 700 but you do get what you pay for.

Do check out the Casio CTK7200 as well, a member on this forum is very keen on them, if you watch and listen to the video reviews you may be pleasantly surprised, it is a similar price to the Yamaha 453. To my ears they have a richer sound compared to the Yamahas

Reaction score
I would love to buy casio but the dealer that stocks casio does not have the latest models. only 2013/14 models and are more expensive than the yamaha. I am trying to getting the yamaha dealer to get the new psr 463 but he says it's not available.

Reaction score
The roland go piano looks like a piano cut in half. It doesn't look right in my opinion.

Well, you said "61 keys". That's what it has. There aren't many "features", so there aren't many control buttons / knobs / sliders.

There's nothing wrong with the Yamaha PSR series. Make sure that the model you get has "touch-sensitive" keys, which play louder if you strike them harder. As I remember, the PSR 2xx models don't have those, but the 3xx and 4xx models do.

I think, in your price range, there aren't any instruments with 88, weighted-action keys. They'll have fewer keys (61 is a working minimum for two-handed playing, IMHO), and they'll be "synth-action" (spring-loaded, rather than weighted). If you become serious about playing _piano_ music, you'll probably transition to weighted keys eventually -- there's some re-learning required.

Any of the small keyboards sound _way_ better through headphones, or with outboard amps and speakers.

, Charles

Reaction score
Funny, I'm looking to sell my 61-key Roland VR-9 *because* it has 61 keys (which drives me crazy). Other than that, it is the best of both worlds; decent sounds and a pretty good organ setup as well.

Ask a Question