I want to replace my MOTIF with a lightweight, pro-sounding 61 or 76 key Piano, funky EP, B3, etc for LIVE-touring

Reaction score
Weight is the issue. My Motif which I LOVE weighs 35 lbs, but my back is getting older! My keyboard needs:

- Awesome, expressive bright rock piano (like the Motif) (no weighted keys)
- Funky rhodes, wurlitzer, classic EP sounds, expressive touch & convincing effects (distortion, tremolo, etc)
- Organ from rock B3 to fluty to "I'm a believer". Leslie is a plus but not mandatory.
- Some natural instruments would be a plus, like accordion and strings.
- Did I mention EXPRESSIVE piano? I've been spoiled with the greatest Motif pianos for 20 years now.

Any recommendations? I would expect the price-point to be similar to a Motif. Thanks very much! I appreciate your suggestions!

Reaction score
Thanks! I had the Nord Electro for a few years and I loved the B3, but I hated the piano for solo performances. Flat expression. I will try to demo the Kurzweil PC4 and the Gemini module. Thanks very much!

Reaction score
Thanks! I had the Nord Electro for a few years and I loved the B3, but I hated the piano for solo performances. Flat expression. I will try to demo the Kurzweil PC4 and the Gemini module. Thanks very much!
Which nord electro model did you have? The newest electro has the ability to load some pretty good nord updated pianos. You should relook the Nord.

For the gemini module listen to the steinway d, yamaha c5 , And yamaha cfx for the gemini module:

go here:.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page where the sample sets are located and tap on the three i mentioned above and listen to those wav files. I have all three loaded in my gemini.

My cousin owns a P-45 yamaha which uses a CFX sample. We played them side by side, they sounded very close, there was some slight variation up and down the keyboard but the differences were slight and this is probably due to Yamaha creating their sample set with a different CFX piano than what Crumar/GSI used to create their sample set. As you know no two hammonds sound exactly the same due to aging components, same with pianos.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Actually the Kurzweil looked and sounded (online) so good I ordered a 76 key model! (It's returnable.) And it's less than 20 lbs! But my Nord was probably a 2012 ish model, so the new ones are undoubtedly better. And BTW, I liked the Nord B3 until I got a Hammond TX and it's even better. And the sliders are way more realistic. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Which nord electro model did you have? The newest electro has the ability to load some pretty good nord updated pianos. You should relook the Nord.

For the gemini module listen to the steinway d, yamaha c5 , And yamaha cfx for the gemini module:

go here:.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page where the sample sets are located and tap on the three i mentioned above and listen to those wav files. I have all three loaded in my gemini.

My cousin owns a P-45 yamaha which uses a CFX sample. We played them side by side, they sounded very close, there was some slight variation up and down the keyboard but the differences were slight and this is probably due to Yamaha creating their sample set with a different CFX piano than what Crumar/GSI used to create their sample set. As you know no two hammonds sound exactly the same due to aging components, same with pianos.
This is very helpful, thank you. The PC4 didn't cut it. Now I'm researching the Gemini module. I like what they say about the attention to detail. The Rhodes mp3s at your link sound great, but I use more EPs than Rhodes ... so we shall see. The effects, envelops and expressive power on my Motif EPs / clavs / and more are epic, compared to anything else I've found so far. For 20 years, I've been spoiled and I took it for granted. I'm touring with a CSNY tribute band and I need amazing pianos, to go with my hammond organ. But I also need some convincing clavs, accordion, solo fiddle, extra organ and more. So hopefully the Gemini has at least the piano and EPs.

Unfortunately I have great disappointment over the Kurzweil PC4 (which I am returning, after purchasing). The effects/dynamics/expression of the EPs and even the brighter rock pianos fall far short of the Motif. The factory accordion, solo fiddle and more are unusable. But it comes closer than anything else I've found so far, in the semi-professional, not-so-heavy keyboard range.

Reaction score
Unfortunately I have great disappointment over the Kurzweil PC4 (which I am returning, after purchasing). The effects/dynamics/expression of the EPs and even the brighter rock pianos fall far short of the Motif. The factory accordion, solo fiddle and more are unusable. But it comes closer than anything else I've found so far, in the semi-professional, not-so-heavy keyboard range.
If it's the best you've found, it may be worth noting that here are also additional sounds that can be loaded into the PC4. Although it is not immediately apparent from their site, you can load any PC3 program into it. There are also third-party libraries, like some nice EPs from Purgatory Creek.

Reaction score
I just got a Yamaha MODX synth and I am very satisfied. It has complex sounds and great expression - mixing two very different sound engines. For example, the rhodes and old EPs growl and distort and ring and percuss beautifully - like the Motifs I've been playing for 20 years. AND it is less than 20 pounds, which is amazing! Thanks again for your suggestions. I still hope to get a Gemini module for the organs someday.

Ask a Question