Is it worth buying a Workstation?

Reaction score
Hi , im just about to buy a keyboard and im on a pretty tight schedual because i have a good option to buy a workstation at a pretty good price (motif es).

I suddenly paused when i thought, wait a second, is it actually worth it buying a workstation?

I have a computer (an old (5 years) G5) that i guess i could sequence on (and add effects on right???). Is it really worth getting a workstation or would i be better of just buying a controller (a keyboard with beautiful inbuilt sounds).

Dont you get more bang for your buck soundwise with those non workstation keyboards?? Which ones would you recommend?

Im interested in making a wide variety of music from reggaeish types of music, to funk, to mexican styles of music, above all i like an "organic sound" not an overly digital one.

So worth it to get a workstation (motif es in this case)? or should i just get a non workstation keyboard and sequence on my computer or buy an outboard sequences? If so which ones do you recommend, thank you so much!!!!!

Thanks again, Max

Reaction score
so i think that makes pianos, bass, accordians (POSSIBLY), ELECTRIC GUITARS, clavs, drums important, a sampling option 2 (possibly mostly for drums i guess).. thanks so much for your help guys

Reaction score
It all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want the keyboard to do for you. The Yamaha Motif range will give you all the sounds you could ever want. Plus the sequencer onboard if a fantastic one so if you ever need to use it at a gig and don't want all the problems of taking a computer out with you it sounds like a good bet. BUT there are keyboards on the market that are cheaper ie Yamaha's baby Motif, the MM6 or Rolands new Juno Di keyboards, check these out before spending your money plus get a keyboard that will do what you what it to now and into the future.
Hope this helped
Doug

Reaction score
worth it?

Yes, it is worth buying.
Upgrading and buying new equipment is always worth it.
Sometimes, you can't just have enough.
Though when u buy, make sure its quality.
Try to find a good deal, plan first.

Ask a Question