kindly teach me how to set a midi file,copy it to an Usb and then play a karaoke from the keyboard-

Reaction score
my urgent requirement is to play song with the help of karaoke----my KB is yamaha--psr I455

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
The keyboard's manual is located here - http://www.manualslib.com/manual/474749/Yamaha-Psr-I455.html?page=4#manual

A quick scan of the manual doesn't show me how to play an externally song file of any type, although it does show me how to save an internally created song as a MIDI file (page 55), presumably so you can play it on some other keyboard. But I'm not an expert on that keyboard, and may have missed something.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Wit til Michael (Seagtgruff) shows up. He owns a PSR455 and is an expert on all things Yamaha.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
There are two ways to play MIDI song files on the PSR-I455 and similar models:

(1) You can use the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader (Windows) or Yamaha MusicSoft Manager (iPad) to transfer MIDI song files to the keyboard's internal flash memory.

(2) You can copy MIDI song files to a USB thumb drive and plug it into the back of the keyboard.

In either case, you don't have to "load" MIDI song files to play them-- you simply press the SONG button to enter the Song mode, then use the various controls (the big dial, the number keys, the CATEGORY "up" and "down" keys, the "plus" and "minus" keys, or some combination of these methods) to select the song you want to play. When browsing through the list of songs, the built-in songs will be listed first (songs 001 through 110), followed by the 10 user song recordings (songs 111 through 120), then any songs which have been transferred to the internal flash memory (song 121 and up), and finally any songs on the USB thumb drive (beginning either with song 121 or some higher number, depending on whether any songs are in the internal flash memory).

Once you've selected the song you want to play, all you have to do is press the PLAY button to start the playback. You can also change the tempo, adjust the volume, or change the voice used for the first track (i.e., MIDI channel 1), as described on page 47 of the manual. Additionally, you can toggle some of the tracks on and off, repeat a particular portion of the song (although this inserts an extra "count-off" measure of metronome ticks each time the loop begins), or use the other Song controls, as described on page 25 of the manual.

There are a few important things to be aware of:

(1) Not all USB thumb drives will work with the keyboard. Most USB 2.x thumb drives should work, but some brands might not be compatible, and USB 3.0 thumb drives definitely won't work. All you can do is try a given thumb drive to see if it will work. Note that when you insert a thumb drive into the USB TO DEVICE port on the back of the keyboard, you must wait patiently for the "USB" indicator in the upper left corner of the LCD screen to stop blinking before you try to access the data on the thumb drive. Also, don't remove the thumb drive while the keyboard is trying to read from it or write to it.

(2) The MIDI song files must have a ".MID" file extension. Karaoke files often have a ".KAR" file extension, but they're just MIDI song files that include additional types of messages for the lyrics and other information, so it's okay to rename the file to change the file extension from ".KAR" to ".MID."

(3) The LCD display cannot display any song lyrics that might be contained in the file.

(4) The keyboard cannot play audio files, only MIDI files.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Wit til Michael (Seagtgruff) shows up. He owns a PSR455 and is an expert on all things Yamaha.

Gary ;)

I don't own a PSR-I455, just some similar models. And as for being "an expert on all things Yamaha," I'm only expert-ish about some things Yamaha! :p

To correct my earlier statements, there's a third way to play MIDI song files, which is to play them back on a computer using a DAW or other software, and send the MIDI data to the keyboard via a USB cable. This has the advantage of letting you edit the file in the DAW if desired, so you can change the voices used on any of the tracks (MIDI channels), as well as the ability to loop parts of the song without that annoying count-off measure, the ability to view any lyrics contained in the karaoke file (if the software supports that), plus you don't need to rename the file extension from ".KAR" to ".MID." But then you're actually playing the song file on the computer and only sending it to the keyboard, so I guess my statement that "There are two ways to play MIDI song files on the PSR-I455" was technically true-ish. ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I stand corrected. I hereby formally withdraw my earlier statements about Michael's expertise and advise the original poster to instead seek out the advice of his clergyman or the nearest homeless person instead :D :D :D

Gary :D

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I wish there was an edit function to this forum. I'd like to change my answer above to reflect that better information can be found in someone else's post.

Oh well. Please ignore my earlier post and read SeaGtGruff's posts.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Fred, there's nothing wrong with your answer. As you said, the manuals don't really show this (the manuals for the other PSR-E models are similarly lacking). I don't know if the authors of the manuals thought it was so obvious that there was no need to explain it, but every so often someone posts a question about how to play a song from a USB drive. The first time I started to post an answer to one of them, I went to the manual to find the page that explains it, and couldn't find any page that gave explicit directions. I think the most confusing thing about it is that there are "Load STY" and "Load USR" functions for loading a style file and a user file, but no "Load SMF" function for loading a song file-- although there is a "Save SMF" function for saving a user song as a standard MIDI file-- so it seems as though there's something missing from the file functions menu! :)

Ask a Question