Korg Pa1000 & Pa700 MIDI Transmit Channels

Reaction score
Hello:

I just sent this post on the Korg forum, but I figured I'd send it on the MIDI forum too, in case I don't get any responses from the Korg forum? Sorry if this causes any confusion.

I utilize "Mainstage 3" on my MacBook Pro, to achieve using the Mainstage 3 sounds from a MIDI keyboard. I get the venues to supply me my 2 keyboards for gigs that we "Fly Into", to avoid airline damage to my own keyboards. I am successful with a variety of keyboards, but I'm having trouble understanding the owners manual for the Korg Pa1000 & Pa700 keyboards, that I will be using this weekend, relating to how to set the MIDI transmit channel.

I utilize two keyboards in my rig. The top keyboard on my stand must be set to MIDI transmit channel # 2 & the bottom keyboard to MIDI transmit channel # 1. In the manuals I believe that page 900 (for the Pa1000) & page 878 (for the Pa700) titled "Programming the MIDI OUT Channels" might be pertaining to setting the MIDI transmit channels, but I'm unsure how to set it. All I need is to be able to do, is set it so that the all of the keys on the keyboard will transmit in Channel # 1 for one keyboard & Channel # 2 for the other keyboard. I'll also need the sustain pedal to work, as well as the pitch bend on the joystick, on both keyboards.

On the "Global > Midi > Midi Out Channel" screen, I'm guessing that I would set all of the MIDI channels (other than # 1 or # 2 as applicable) to "Off". But what would be the setting for the Ch01 or Ch02 be? I'm not sure what the settings in the "Track" column might mean? eg: If I select "Lower" the description in the "Meaning" column indicates "Keyboard's Lower Sound". What does that mean? Is it something to do with keyboard splits, or something else?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Boe Pro

Reaction score
eg: If I select "Lower" the description in the "Meaning" column indicates "Keyboard's Lower Sound". What does that mean? Is it something to do with keyboard splits, or something else?
Yes. These keyboards are set up to be able to play four sounds feom the keyboard... 3 "upper" sounds (Upper 1, Upper 2, Upper 3) , plus, if you engage the split option, 1 "lower" sound which is the only sound that plays below the split point (if you have activated it). For your purposes, it sounds like you won't activate the split, and you'll only need to activate one of the three Upper sounds (which you do from the touchscreen). By default, if you activate (only) Upper 1 and play the keyboard, you will be transmitting on channel 1; if you activate (only) Upper 2, you will be transmitting on channel 2. (If you activated both of those parts, you'd be transmitting on both of those channels. Here are the default assignments (but you can change them):

Screen-Shot-2023-10-17-at-10-18-40-PM.png

Reaction score
Hello again anotherscott:

Sounds excellent. So if I'm thinking correctly, the keyboard that is to transmit in Channel 1, I would set CH01 to Upper 1, all the other channels would say Off, and the keyboard for Channel 2, I'd set Ch02 to Upper 2 and all the other channels to Off. Does this make sense?

Thanks for your great help again.

Boe Pro

Reaction score
You don't have to "set CH01 to Upper 1" or "set Ch02 to Upper 2" because that's already how those things are assigned by default. Unless someone changed them. ;-) SImply, on the board you want transmitting on channel 1, make Upper 1 active, and leave the other two parts off/muted. If you want to transmit on channel 2, make Upper 2 active, and again, leave the other parts off/muted. At least this is how I remember it. :)

Ask a Question