Upgrade to Korg PA1000

Reaction score
I am in the UK.

At present I have a Korg PA800. I am thinking of getting a PA1000.

Has anyone got any views on this?

I am only using for home use.

Keith

Reaction score
Welcome Keith.

Firstly, have you played a 1000?

There are quite a few menu and functional differences but I would expect the sounds to be similar.

There is a new OS update out which may change a few things from what you see online.

I see you are in Cider country and hence lucky in that we in the UK do seem to have the best Korg team there is. KorgUK have their own website for Pa owners which is Korg World and if you go onto their website you will see links to the webinars that they produce, there have been about 20 so far and they are live and interactive but available to watch after the event.

These are a mass of very useful information and whilst the presenters do use a 4X the functions are very similar on a 1000 and a 700.

Additionally online there is Korg’s Video Manual series available that go into detail in each of the features of the Pa which you may find very helpful in your choice.

Personally I would save more cash and buy a Pa4X, I have just sold my Pa700 but would not consider a Pa1000 as the differences between that and the 700 is not enough for me (different keybed, more memory, more sounds and vocal processing) to spend £500 more than the cost of a new 700 and go for a 1000.

Finally I do not know how you operate your 800 but the new systems in place with the Pa series leans heavily in using the Songbook and Setlist function, here a Style is saved to be a Songbook entry and it is then customised to suit the song and saved, the original Style remains unchanged. Load the Song and play it is as simple as that. It is also very easy to save and customise Keyboard sets and individual sounds. Plus Korg have over 40 Bonusware Style packs available foc plus many additional soundfonts.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Biggles - thank you.

No have not played a 1000 - no shops around here. I operate mainly with the songbook, which is simple to use and update.

Most people are saying get the Pa4X, which I could consider.

Probably depends on how much a PA800 is worth on trade in. Mine is immaculate, only home use with no faults.

Sourcing a 1000 appears to be an issue almost all appear out of stock.

I see that you are in Lancs, the 800 came from a shop in Lancs. Not sure if I am allowed to name it.

Keith

Reaction score
My guess is that you bought it from A&C Hamilton who are still selling gear but the last time I was in the shop they were pressing Yamaha kit to a customer.

Their trade in offer for my Pa700 was £500 and I eventually sold it on Ebay and after fees got £750 for it. The Pa700 cost me £1000 and I had it for 30 months and it was immaculate but I got fed up of the spongy feel of the keybed and that I had filled up the pathetic amount of onboard memory that was in the unit.

Last year the 4X had an OS update that they called NEXT, it opened up a lot of additional onboard memory as well as changing some features. A similar update is expected for the 1000 and 700 so this needs to be checked out as I would not buy either model as they currently stand. I believe that the hardware has a lot of locked or limited features that Korg will drip feed updates to unlock these features since doing this is far easier than designing a new keyboard.

Btw, effectively the Pa1000 hit the stores here in the UK in March 2018, the 700 was September 2017 which was when I bought mine. The Pa4X is older still and is due a model update, in some aspects the Yamaha Genos has supplanted the 4X as the best Arranger in other aspects the 4X wipes the floor with the Genos.

Reaction score
So if I went for a Pa4X, there are no internal speakers. What are people using for speakers?

I see there is the PaAS speaker system at £350.

Did see a bundle price which was more than buying them separately?

Keith

Reaction score
I asked a question to see what the members here would suggest.

Korg also have their own powered speaker in the Korg Konnect which is c£350 so no benefit.

Check out a Vox VX50KB amp which should be c£230.

Ask a Question